Discover It Cash Back Vs Discover It Chrome
Since the Discover it® chrome carries the same welcome offers and low fees, the Discover it Cash Back vs. chrome debate boils down to reward consistency. The chrome card may be a more manageable choice since you can rely on its 2 percent cash back at gas stations and restaurants, but that rate is limited to $1,000 in combined purchases per quarter across those categories. All other purchases earn 1 percent, similar to the Discover it Cash Back.
Although the Discover it chrome appears to offer steadier rewards, its categories spending cap limits the cards cash back potential compared to the Discover it Cash Back. Based on the budget from the first-year versus ongoing value table above, the Cash Back card would earn $399 per year while the chrome card would scrape by with $205 per year. Keep in mind that this significant rewards difference also affects your first-year cash back match bonus, meaning the chrome cards welcome offer is worth $194 less. So although the Discover it chrome appears more reliable, the Discover it Cash Back is a much more valuable card to have in your wallet.
How To Decide: What Is The Best Credit Card For Me
To decide which credit is the best for you, you need to look at your priorities. If you normally carry a balance or you want to reduce your debt, then a low-interest or balance transfer card should be the only types you consider. People who always pay off their full balance every month need to decide whether a travel or cash-back card makes more sense for them. Travel cards can offer lucrative rewards, but if you dont like to travel, theres no point in you getting a travel credit card. If this sounds like you, then a cash-back card may be the way to go. Now that youve got your category of card selected, take a look at the earn rate, additional, benefits and which type of points you earn for each card. If you happen to spend a lot on gas and groceries, then look for a card that has a high earn rate for those categories. The annual fee should also be a consideration in your decision making, but if you think youre getting good value out of your additional benefits and youre making more back than you paid with the fee, then it shouldnt be a big deal.
Which Discover Card Is Best For Students
Discover has a pair of student credit cards that are offered to students who typically have little or no credit history. The Discover student cards offer cash back rewards, charge no annual fee, and help you build your credit history.
Your choice of student credit card rests on which rewards scheme you prefer:
- Discover it® Student Cash Back: This card has a more complex and more generous reward scheme. It uses a quarterly rotating set of merchants at which you receive bonus cash back on purchases up to the quarterly spending limit. You must activate the card each quarter to receive the bonus cash back, and all other purchases earn 1%.
- Discover it® Student chrome: This card offers bonus cash back on purchases at restaurants and gas stations, and 1% on all other purchases. The bonus cash back is capped each quarter at a slightly lower spending limit. Unlike its sibling card, this one offers introductory 0% APR promotional financing on purchases made by new cardmembers during the first six months after opening the account.
A math example reveals the difference in each cards potential rewards.
The Discover it® Student Cash Back card would pay cash back equal to 2 x + ) = $680 cash back.
The Discover it® Student chrome card would earn you 2 x + ) = $280, which is $400 less than the reward from its sibling card.
The Discover it® Student chrome requires no quarterly activations but requires you to spend $1,000 each quarter at restaurants and gas stations to max out your rewards.
Recommended Reading: Where To Sign Up For Credit Card
How To Choose The Best Discover Credit Card
- Review your spending habits. Since most Discover cards offer some form of cash back, a big part of choosing the right one involves picking the card that enables you to earn the most cash back over time in the categories you spend most in.
- Consider your travel needs. The Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card is a simple travel product thats solid all around.
- Look at the state of your credit score. The Discover it® Secured is aimed at those who have damaged or no credit, and it can help you build a strong FICO score.
- See if you qualify for a student card. Student cards may prove a better option if you can qualify for them, as theyre designed for those who might not yet have a strong credit history..
- Choose a consumer or business card. If you need a card for business expenses, youll want to stick to a business credit card. The Discover it® Business Card might be the right fit for you. If youre not sure you need a business credit card at all, consider one of the personal cards, which you can also use for business purchases.
Discovers Rotating Cash Back
Discovers 2022 Cashback Calendar is available and can be found below. To ensure you earn the full cash back rate, keep the following in mind:
- You must activate the bonus each quarter to receive 5% back.
- Your bonus is active from the first day of the first month of each quarter or the date on which you activate it, whichever is later through the last day of the last month of each quarter.
- You earn bonus cash back up to the quarterly maximum.
- All spending over the quarterly maximum and all purchases outside a quarters bonus category earn 1% cash back.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Free Credit Card For Online Shopping
Capital One Credit Cards Vs Discover Credit Cards: Which Is Best For You
Discover has a history of disrupting the credit card market. It offered some of the countrys first no-fee credit cards and is now expanding its lineup to include secured, travel rewards and cash back options. Capital One, meanwhile, is a well-known and trusted credit provider across the United States with its own stable of credit-building, miles-earning and cash rewards cards.
But which companys credit offerings best meet your needs? Lets break it down.
Introductory Offer For Balance Transfers
Both cards have the same introductory period for balance transfers.
Discover it Balance Transfer offers 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months. After that, theres a regular APR between 13.49% and 24.49%. The Citi Double Cash also comes with an 18-month 0% APR introductory period. The regular APR is between 15.49% and 25.49% after that.
The balance transfer fees are relatively similar too, but make sure you read the terms before you apply and remember when any fees are scheduled to change. With the Discover it Balance Transfer, youll pay a 3% balance transfer fee through October 10th, 2022 and the fee goes up to 5% after that. The Citi Double Cash, on the other hand, has a 3% balance transfer fee for any debt you transfer within the first 4 months of account opening. Then, the fee increases to 5% .
Don’t Miss: Is Hilton Credit Card Worth It
Discover It Student Chrome:
This is a good option for students who want to earn cashback on their everyday spending. It offers 2% cashback at gas stations and restaurants and 1% cashback on all other purchases. Youll also get a 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first six months . Theres no annual fee, and you can get your cashback as a statement credit or direct deposit into a checking or savings account.
TOP REWARDS RATES:
- 2% cashback on gas and restaurants
- 1% cashback on all other purchases
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first six months
NEGATIVE REWARDS RATES
- No annual fee
- Cash back can be redeemed as a statement credit or direct deposit into a checking or savings account
This is a good option for students who want to earn cashback on their everyday spending. The Discover it® Student chrome card offers 2% cashback at gas stations and restaurants and 1% cashback on all other purchases. Youll also get a 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first six months . Theres no annual fee, and you can get your cashback as a statement credit or direct deposit into a checking or savings account.
Who Should Skip A Discover Credit Card
- The luxury traveler. Someone looking for a top-notch travel experience including comped checked bags, access to airport lounges, priority upgrades and anything else exclusive to the high-priced lifestyle will have to look to other travel cards. Cards with high annual fees can often be your ticket into these offers, and can be very much worth the cost for the right spender.
- The quick-bonus chaser. If youre someone trying to capitalize on credit card rewards in the near future, cards with more traditional sign-up bonuses might be a better choice. Discovers rewards cards are typically backed with their Cashback Match offer, which while valuable takes a full year to make an impact.
Don’t Miss: What Credit Card Companies Only Pull Experian
Now Lets Dig Into Some Of The Capital One Benefits
- Personalized payments for secured cards Pick your own monthly due date and payment method including check, online or in-person. This lets you take control of your credit rebuild by aligning credit payments with cash flow to ensure youre always on time.
- Complimentary concierge service Savor cardholders enjoy 24/7/365 concierge service for dining, entertainment and travel bookings, helping you make the most of the cash back youre earning everyday.
- Venture Rewards miles transfer Transfer miles earned on your VentureOne rewards card to popular travel partners including Qantas, Finnair and EVA Air, giving you the ability to spend miles where they offer the greatest benefit.
- Virtual card numbers Pay for purchases securely online with virtual card numbers from Eno. Your actual card number is kept secure, letting you pay for everyday purchases and big-ticket items online with confidence.
Best For Low Interest Rates
Scotiabank Platinum American Express® Card
- 9.99% on purchases and cash advances.
- Rewards RateEarn 2X Scene+ points for every $1 you spend on all your eligible purchases.
- Intro OfferUp to 60,000 PointsEarn up to 60,000 bonus Scene+ Points: 1. Earn 50,000 bonus Scene+ points by making at least $3,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first 3 months.2. Plus, for a limited time, you are eligible to earn a 10,000 Scene+ point bonus when you spend at least $10,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first 14 months. New cardmembers only. Must open account by October 31, 2022.
- Our TakeWhy we like itWith low rates and a generous rewards program, the Scotiabank Platinum American Express card is a unicorn for frequent travellers seeking luxury perks, premier travel benefits and exceptional interest rates on purchases and cash advances.Pros
- Low interest rates, no foreign transaction fees, and an impressive insurance package that includes comprehensive travel insurance coverage and newly-added mobile device insurance.
- Luxury travel privileges include 10 free VIP airport lounge visits per year with a complimentary Priority Pass membership.
- The $399 annual fee is quite a bit higher than other rewards cards, but frequent travellers seeking a low rate on purchases and cash advances can easily make the yearly cost worthwhile.
Best For Canadian Tire In
Triangle World Elite Mastercard®
- 19.99% on purchases, 22.99% on cash transactions .
- Rewards Rate1%-4%4% at Canadian Tire or its affiliated stores, 3% at grocery stores , and 1% on grocery stores after that. Plus, collect 5¢-7¢1 per litre at Gas+/Essence+ locations.
- Intro Offer
- Our TakeWhy we like itThe Triangle World Elite Mastercard® is the ideal choice for shoppers hoping to collect and redeem as much Canadian Tire Money as possible. The roadside assistance package cardholders get access to is a nice perk, too.Pros
- Solid Canadian Tire Money earn rates on groceries, sports equipment and other merchandise at participating stores.
- No annual fee.
- Access to various insurance plans.
- Not much added value if you dont shop at Canadian Tire or its affiliated stores.
- Large families could burn through their accelerated earn rates on groceries sooner than theyd like.
- Earning Canadian Tire Money on gas purchases could be challenging if you dont live near an eligible gas station.
Home Trust Secured Visa*
Looking for a card to improve your own ? Maybe you are new to Canada, have a problematic credit history, or are just starting out on your own financially. There are many reasons why you might need to build or rebuild your creditbut whatever the case, youll want to take steps towards achieving a healthy credit score. Thats where the no-fee Home Trust Secured Visa can come in. Unlike with conventional credit cards, its easy to be approved for a secured cardyou just need to be a resident of Canada and have a deposit. The Home Trust Secured Visa tops our list for its low minimum deposit and $0 annual fee. With this card, building your credit score is simple and affordable.
- Annual fee: $0
Also Check: What Is Vioc On My Credit Card Statement
What Credit Score Do You Need For A Discover Credit Card
Discover offers credit cards for people with all ranges of . For most of its credit cards, a good credit score of 670 or higher is all that is needed to be considered for approval. Its student credit card is well-suited for people who are in school and are just starting their credit journey. The secured card is designed for people with no credit or damaged credit who are ready to work toward building their credit.
Discover It Student Cash Back: Best Overall Student Card
- What we love about the Discover it Student Cash back: Discovers student cash back card has the least stringent credit requirements, but still offers the same rotating categories as the Discover it Cash Back.
- Who this card is good for: Students who can fit maximizing bonus category spending and planning into their busy college schedules.
- Alternatives: If youre a student who has already established some credit history and has at least good credit, you might be more interested in the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students. This card earns 3 percent back in a category of your choice, 2 percent back at grocery and wholesale stores and 1 percent on all other purchases. Its a flexible option that gets you away from the structured enrollment requirements of the Discover it Student Cash Back.
Read our full Discover it Student Cash Back card review.
Recommended Reading: How To Improve Credit Score Without Credit Card
How To Compare Discover Credit Cards
When you compare credit card offers from Discover, it will come down to two main factors:
- Your credit score
- Your rewards needs
If you have good credit, you’ll want to focus more on the type of rewards you want to earn. You’ll need to decide if you want rotating bonus categories with a higher rewards rate or static bonus categories at a slightly lower rate.
If you need to build credit, you have a few choices. College students who are first-time credit card users should choose one of Discover two student cards, which vary in the type of rewards you earn . If you’re not a college student and need to build credit, then go with Discover’s secured card.
As you’re thinking about which card to get, you may want to know if you’ll be approved when you apply. Check out our guide on how to qualify for Discover pre-approval to find out more about how it works.
Honourable Mention For Local Shopping: Visa
Visas Back to Business program is aimed at supporting small businesses as they contend with the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Back to Business Locator uses the Visa payment network to identify and list businesses in their database which shoppers can use to find local vendors. Customers can join Visas #MySmallBizReco campaign to shout-out their favourites. Additionally, the company has a resource hub offering courses, grants, and tools to help small business owners.
Recommended Reading: How To Add Money To Cash App From Credit Card
Does Discover Offer A Free Credit Score Service
Yes. You can check your FICO Score anytime with Discovers Credit Scorecard but only if you are currently a Discover cardholder. Once you have a Discover card, you can access your FICO Score for free, and your score is updated every 30 days. Checking your own credit score has no impact on your credit score.
What Benefits Do Discover Credit Cards Offer
Each Discover credit card offers its own unique benefits, so the perks you get will likely vary based on the card you choose. Depending on the card, benefits might include cashback rewards, travel rewards, sign-up bonuses, identity theft protection, Social Security number alerts, and access to the Discover Freeze It tool, which offers protection against unauthorized purchases.
Recommended Reading: Should I Close My Credit Card