Best For Everyday Purchases: Citi Double Cash Card
What to Know About This Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- Rewards Program Highlights: Earn unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases .
- Introductory Offers: 0% APR on balance transfers for the first 18 months of card membership
- Top Perks: $0 fraud liability and access to the Citi Entertainment portal
- Team Clark Card Review
Why We Like It: Its incredibly simple. There are no limits to the amount of 2% cash back you can earn with this card, so you can spend it anywhere Mastercard is accepted and know exactly what youll get in rewards each time. This no-annual-fee card is in Clarks wallet, so it has his stamp of approval.
What Credit Score Do You Need For The Best Cash
In general, rewards credit cards require applicants to have good to excellent credit scores.
While the magic number will vary by issuer, a credit score at or above 700 is usually considered good, according to the . Some cards, such as the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card, are available to those with lower credit scores, but they may charge an annual fee or offer fewer rewards than those provided by other cards.
If your credit score is lower than 700, consider taking some time to improve your credit before applying for a cash-back credit card. A better credit score will put you in the running for the best cash-back credit cards.
How Cashback Rewards Work
Earning cash back on your purchases is simple you pay with your credit card, and you earn a percentage of each purchase back as cash. Scoring cash back is a great way to save money on expenses youd normally pay for anyway. While some cards have general rewards like 1.5% cash back on all purchases, other cards have specific spending categories like 6% cash back on groceries. These savings may sound small, but they can make a real difference over the course of a year.
While some people argue that having a credit card that earns points or miles may be better, theres nothing wrong with putting money in any form back in your pocket. For some time, I used cashback cards to save on my monthly bills, and it helped tremendously. So if youre looking to open a new credit card and debating between cash back versus miles, going with cash back can be a great choice.
While high rates of cashback rewards arent typical, they do exist. If youre wondering which credit card will give you 5% cash back on all your purchases, unfortunately, thats hard to come by. However, there are some cards that have specific spending categories where you can earn even more than 5% cash back.
Keep reading, and Ill show you the best cashback credit cards available from a variety of credit card issuers, as well as how you can use them strategically to earn the most cash back possible.
You May Like: Td Bank Gift Card Check Balance
Cash Back Vs Travel Credit Cards
Cash back cards and travel cards are both types of rewards credit cards, but they can serve very different purposes in your wallet.
Cash back credit cards offer low-cost, straightforward rewards focused on everyday spending, which can be a great option for someone looking to keep things simple. Travel credit cards, on the other hand, often have more complex rewards structures and high annual fees. But they can also be more lucrative long-term, with higher rewards, valuable benefits, and more flexible redemptions.
How Can You Choose The Best Cash Back Credit Card
Knowing a cash back card will meet your needs, you now face the task to select one that best meets them. You can consider the following factors when choosing a cash back credit card:
Monthly spending.Since rewards among cash back cards vary by category, its important to know as precisely as possible the amounts you typically spend in which categories every month.
Annual fee. While many cash back cards have no annual fee, dont necessarily rule out those that do carry one. For-fee cards generally offer the highest cashback earnings.
Your other credit cards. Your new cash back card needntand likely wontbe the only card you own. For many people, it makes sense to pair a cash back credit card with at least one other card, likely one that offers points rewards.
Additional considerations. Other things you can consider when selecting a cash back credit card include:
- The quality of credit thats recommended to apply, and whether you meet that level.
- Can you realistically meet any spending requirements involved with introductory bonuses?
- Are there any fees that might affect you .
- Does the card offer useful benefits not present on other cards you already own, such as various types of travel insurance?
- Is there a 0% APR introductory offer? Does it cover both purchases and balance transfers, or only one or the other of those? If you contemplate transferring a balance to the card, is a transfer fee imposed for doing so?
Recommended Reading: Does Cabelas Take Checks
Best For Superstore Shopping: Capital One Walmart Rewards Card
What to Know About This Card
- Annual Fee: None
- Rewards Program Highlights: 5% cash back on purchases made at Walmart.com , 2% on in-store Walmart and fuel purchases, 2% on restaurants and travel
- Introductory Offers: Walmart will boost in-store cash back from 2% to 5% for the first year if you use Walmart Pay to make the purchases.
- Top Perks: Rewards are redeemable as cash but also can be used to make in-store purchases or claim gift cards and travel rewards.
- Team Clark Card Review
Why We Like It: Much like Amazon, Walmart is a catch-all retail experience that could include groceries, clothes and a tire rotation all in the same shopping trip. Being able to snag up to 5% on your purchases here has the potential to be a big win. If youre not a Walmart person, you may be better served by the Target RedCard which also awards 5% cash back.
What Is The Best Credit Card For 5% Cash Back
The best credit card for 5% cash back depends on your lifestyle and spending habits. You typically wont get 5% cash back on all purchases, so you have to decide which card would be best for the areas where you typically spend. For example, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is ideal for U.S. supermarket purchases, while the Chase Ink Business Cash makes sense for common business expenses.
You May Like: How Do I Pay My Elan Credit Card
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Using Cash
A cash-back credit card may not be right for everyone. While they come with great benefits, other cards may be better, depending on your particular needs. Take a look at the following pros and cons to decide if a cash back card is right for you.
Pros of cash back credit cards:
- Cash rewards are simple to earn and redeem.
- No need to worry about the value of rewards changing, as can happen with points and miles.
- Welcome bonuses, offered by many cards, can be worth hundreds of dollars.
- Many cash-back cards don’t charge an annual fee.
Cons of cash back credit cards:
- There may be a cap on how much cash back you can earn.
- If you plan to travel, you may get more value through rewards cards that offer points and miles.
- Interest rates on cash back credit cards can be higher than those on non-rewards cards.
Best For 0% Apr: Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa
Get $150 cash rewards bonus when you spend $500 in purchases in the first 3 months.
|Earn 1.5% cash rewards on everyday purchases.|
|INTRO PURCHASE APR|
|0% for 15 Months|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.|
|Foreign transaction fee|
- Why We Chose This Card:
- Pros & Cons:
The Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa Card is our choice for the best 0% APR credit card because it offers 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and on balance transfers. This card comes with no annual fee and can be a good choice for those looking to transfer a high-interest balance and save some money.
Introductory 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months from account opening
1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases
Wells-Fargo customer satisfaction for credit cards is below average
Rewards subject to redemption thresholds
Read the full Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® credit card review
How To Compare Cards To Find The Best One
A good cash back card is one with generous bonus categories, since the goal is to earn as much cash back as possible on your spending. The more bonus categories, the better, and the higher the cash back rate, the better.
That said, the best cash back card is different for everyone. To find the best one for you, you’ll want to look for a few things:
- The cash back rate for your common spending categories. Extra cash back for gas isn’t much use if you don’t drive. Consider how you intend to use this card, and look at the rate for those spending categories.
- How you redeem your cash back. Make sure you’re clear on what you’re earning. Is it statement credit? Cash? Points? If points, can they be combined with or transferred to other cards you have, or brands you like?
- The annual fee. An annual fee may make or break your choice. Are you willing to pay one? And more importantly, can you afford it comfortably or will it be effectively wiped out by the cash back you’ll earn in a year?
We don’t mention the APR because the rate only applies if you’re carrying a balance on your credit card. We recommend applying for a cash back credit card intending to pay off the balance in full each month. For other categories of credit cards, like balance-transfer cards, the APR might be a more important consideration.
Cash Back Or Travel Rewards
The two most popular types of credit card rewards are travel and cash back. Travel rewards can be very lucrative as the value of your points can be quite valuable depending on what youre redeeming for. Cash back may not give you as big of a return, but its easy to understand. With cash back, theres no need to worry about blackout dates, seat availability or taxes since you get paid out in cash. Which one you choose is a personal decision.
You May Like: How To Pay Best Buy Credit Card On App
Rogers World Elite Mastercard
With its regular 1.5% cash back and no annual fee, this card should make Canadian no-fee card users sit up and take noticebut for online shoppers and U.S.travellers, it could be a boon. Thats because purchases in U.S. currency earn 3% cash back, which covers the foreign transaction fee credit cards typically chargebetween 2.5% and 3%. Cash rewards can then be redeemed towards any eligible purchases made on your card, for the ultimate in flexibility.
There is one drawback, which is that applicants must have an annual income of $80,000 thatll exclude many Canadians. Under the cards terms, youll also need to spend at least $15,000 on the card over an annual review period otherwise you could be downgraded to the entry-level Rogers Platinum Mastercard that earns a lower 1% cash back. For those who can meet its income and spending requirements though, the Rogers World Elite is a great option.
- Welcome offer: Get $25 in cash back rewards when you make your first card purchase within 3 months of receiving your card
- Earn rate: Get 3% cash back on purchases in U.S. currency, and 1.5% on all other purchases
- Income requirement: $80,000 individual, $150,000 household
- Additional benefits: Travel insurance including emergency air-transportation or evacuation reimbursement of prepaid, non-refundable trip expenses up to $1,000 per person, or $5,000 per account emergency dental care and more
Us Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
Our pick for: Customizable cash back wide selection of categories
If you don’t mind putting some work into your rewards, check out the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature® Card. It might be the most customizable cash back card available. You pick which categories earn the most cash back you get two 5% categories and a 2% category and you can change those options every quarter. There’s a good bonus offer for new cardholders, too. Read our review.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Annual Fee For First Premier Credit Card
Bitcoin Rewards Visa Credit Card
Earn At Least 1.5% Back in Bitcoin on Every Fiat Purchase
The Bitcoin Rewards Visa Credit Card is a mold-breaking credit card that earns Bitcoin, not cash-back rewards, on every fiat purchase. Simply swipe, dip, tap, or enter your card as normal to earn at leats 1.5% back in Bitcoin on eligible transactions.
This cards welcome offer is worth writing home about too: earn 3.5% back in Bitcoin after for the first 3 months, up to $100 in bonus Bitcoin.
The Bitcoin Rewards Visa card is available now. To qualify and apply, open a funded BlockFi account.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 3.5% back in Bitcoin on eligible purchases during your first 3 months, up to $100 in bonus Bitcoin.
- Cash-Back Rate and Redemption. Earn 1.5% back in Bitcoin on every eligible fiat purchase, every day, until you hit $50,000 annual spend. Above that threshold, youll earn 2% back in Bitcoin on eligible purchases.
- Introductory APR: See terms for APR information.
- Key Fees: Theres no annual fee. See terms for additional fee information.
- Other Perks: Earn 0.25% back in Bitcoin on all eligible trades, up to a maximum of $500 in Bitcoin each month
Find out how you can apply for this card here.
Capital One Quicksilverone Cash Rewards Credit Card
Our pick for: Fair/average credit
This card for people with fair or “average” credit pays the same cash-back rate as the regular Quicksilver card, which targets people with excellent credit. The key difference is that this version charges an annual fee while the regular one does not. Read our review.
You May Like: Use Points To Pay Amex Bill
What’s The Difference Between Visa And Mastercard
This is one of the most common questions about credit card companies. Just about every place that takes credit cards takes both Visa and Mastercard, with only a couple of exceptions , so consumers are left wondering whether there’s a difference at all.
The most important thing to remember is that neither Visa nor Mastercard issues credit cards. These companies are just payment networks that process transactions. Most of the benefits that come with a card are provided by the card issuer, not the network. And since their acceptance rates are nearly identical, you’re better off focusing on the features of individual cards rather than which network they operate on. Read more about Visa vs. Mastercard.
Best Cash Rewards Credit Card With No Foreign Transaction Fees
Why We Like It:
Bonus: Earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases within your first three months as a cardholder.
Rewards Rate: Earn 1.5% cash back on your purchases. There are no categories or spending caps to think about. Additionally, you can take advantage of an introductory 15 months no interest on purchases ).
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee.
- This card offers intro 0% APR for 15 months on new purchases. This is a great perk for anyone looking to make a large purchase. Once the intro period expires, a rate of 15.49% – 25.49% will apply.
- This is a great card to take along on international trips as there’s no fee charged on foreign transactions.
- If a big chunk of your spending is in a particular category, you might earn more rewards with a card that offers bonus rewards in those categories.
- Paying no annual fee is great, but if you plan to use your card often, choosing an annual fee card that offers higher rewards might be worth it.
Read our full review of the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card.
|Likelihood of Continuing to Use||9.3|
*Scores above reflect the results of surveys with actual cardholders. Full methodology below.
Recommended Reading: Is Carecredit Visa Or Mastercard
Best Cash Back Credit Cards Of November 2021
*Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
This article was last updated November 18, 2021 . Terms and conditions may have changed. For the most accurate information, please consult the issuer website.
Our top pick for best cash back credit card is the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card. It earns a flat cash back rate on every purchase, offers a generous sign-up bonus, charges a $0 annual fee, and comes with solid intro APR periods on both purchases and balance transfers.
|Best Cash Back Credit Cards of November 2021|
|Ink Business Cash® Credit Card|
Best Cash Back Credit Card For Bonus Rewards: American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
When it comes to earning up to $350 of cash back on purchases you make the most, this card cant be beat.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets and on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- Unlimited 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and on transit.
- $350 welcome bonus after you spend $3,000 in first 6 months of card membership.
- 12 months of 0% intro APR on new purchases.
- $95 annual fee, waived the first year.
- 6% cash back at U.S supermarkets is limited to your first $6,000 spent each calendar year .
There are a lot of bonus cash back options to get excited about with this card. First, theres the whopping 6% cash back you receive on up to $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each year. You also receive 6% back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions and 3% back on transit and at U.S. gas stations. You’ll also earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. This gives you the chance to earn up to $400 in cash back each year on groceries alone.
Earn $350 back after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership . You’ll also enjoy 12 months of 0% intro APR financing on new purchases . All of these opportunities to earn cash back make it well worth the cards $95 annual fee, which is currently waived the first year.
Recommended Reading: Does Td Bank Have Visa Gift Cards