What Are Travel Miles And Points Worth
Generally, travel miles and points are worth 1 cent each. But the value of your miles or points can vary based on the card you earned them with and what you redeem them for. It’s possible for travel points and miles to be worth more than 1 cent each or less, depending on the card and how you elect to use them.
Compare Rewards On Cards
Once youve narrowed your credit card options to a specific card, start comparing the rewards points, sign-up bonuses, and additional perks in each card.
Its important to compare all the perks, not just rewards points. Comparing rewards points and percentages can be helpful, but it may be somewhat misleading. For example, you may see that Card A offers you two points for every dollar you spend, while Card B offers only one. A two to one ratio is always better, right?
Not necessarily. The points may equal different dollar values. For Card A, one point may be worth $.01, while for Card B, one point may be worth $.02.
Even if the points have the same dollar value, you may find the perks on one card to be more resourceful than those on another. For a deeper comparison of rewards cards, you can always use this page. Well continue updating it with pertinent information on Canadas best rewards cards.
Citi Premier Card: Best For Rewards For Travel And Everyday Spending
Why we picked it: The Citi Premier card offers 3X points on popular travel expenses, including air travel, hotels, and restaurants, and common everyday spending categories, like supermarkets and gas stations, for a relatively low $95 annual fee.
Pros: You get 1X points on general purchases, along with a decent sign-up bonus: Cardholders earn 80,000 points for spending $4,000 in their first three months, which can be redeemed for $800 in gift cards at thankyou.com.
Cons: The cards biggest drawback is that youll have limited transfer options for people traveling stateside. Most of Citis big transfer partners are international carriers, like Qantas, Virgin Atlantic, and Qatar Airways.
Who should apply? People trying to decide between a travel credit card and a credit card that rewards everyday spending can meet both needs with the Citi Premier card.
Who should skip? If you want one rewards credit card only and need it to come with a few perks, you may want to consider a different card that provides you with a few more convenient offerings.
Also Check: Why Is My Visa Gift Card Being Declined Online
Best Rewards Credit Cards Of January 2022
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list ofour partnersandhere’s how we make money.
Rewards credit cards come in two main varieties: cash-back cards and travel cards. Cash-back cards pay you back a percentage of the amount of each transaction. Travel rewards credit cards give you points or miles for each dollar you spend you redeem those rewards for free flights, hotel stays and more. No single rewards card is right for everyone. It’s all about how you spend money and what kind of rewards you value.
Some of our selections for the best rewards credit cardscan be applied for through NerdWallet, and some cannot. Below, you’ll find application links for the credit cards from our partners that are available through NerdWallet, followed by the full list of our picks.
How Do You Redeem Credit Card Rewards
The vast majority of credit card travel rewards are redeemable through your credit card accounts website. If the card is with a specific hotel chain or airline, you can redeem points toward hotel stays or airline tickets directly at the hotel or airlines website.
If the card offers flexible rewards, you can either transfer the points to your chosen partner or choose to redeem the points directly with the credit card companys travel agency. Occasionally, with some lesser known partners, you may need to call the credit card company to make the transaction.
Also Check: Td Bank Balance Gift Card
What Are The Main Types Of Credit Card Rewards
There are four main types of credit card rewards:
- Cash back: These rewards suit customers looking for cash back or gift cards.
- Merchandise : These rewards suit customers looking for a choice of options when redeeming points, such as merchandise, gift cards, automotive, entertainment, lifestyle, food and beverage, or additional rewards.
- Frequent flyer : These rewards suit customers looking for flights or other travel products.
- Instant rewards: These rewards suit customers looking for an instant discount at the point of sale.
Td Aeroplan Visa Infinite
Why is it one of the best?
- The card comes with a huge sign-up bonus. As a new cardholder, you can recieve: a first-year annual fee rebate, up to 20,000 bonus points, and a âBuddy Passâ companion ticket . Offer ends August 16, 2021
- While Aeroplan is owned by Air Canada, you can also redeem points on over two dozen Star Alliance partner airlines including Lufthansa, United Airlines, and more.
- Aeroplan points can deliver great value depending on your travel routes and the time of year.
- As an Aeroplan credit card holder, youâll receive preferred pricing and can often book flights on Air Canada with fewer points.
- With Aeroplanâs generous stopover policy, you can travel further and visit more locations while stretching the value of your points. .
- When flying on Air Canada, you and up to eight travel companions can check in your first bag for free .
- It offers a slew of side perks including built-in mobile device insurance and a NEXUS fee reimbursement every 48 months for smoother cross-border between the US and Canada.
- Comprehensive travel insurance benefits including hotel-motel burglary insurance and travel medical insurance for trips up to 21 days.
- Unlike most other credit cards, authorized users will receive access to virtually all the same perks as the primary cardholder.
- Get Aeroplan perks including access to the Aeroplan e-store and the ability to earn âSQM and SQSâ on your everyday spending that goes towards achieving elite Aeroplan status.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Credit Card From Google Express
What Credit Card Has The Best Points Program
Though there are lots of great points programs out there, we believe Chase Ultimate Rewards® is one of the best. It has a number of flexible redemption options and allows you to maximize your rewards value by transferring points to any of its many travel partners. Some of the cards that earn Chase Ultimate Rewards® include the Chase Freedom Flex, the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
The information related to American Express® Green Card, The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, Blue from American Express®, American Express® Business Gold Card and The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. Terms apply to American Express credit card offers. See americanexpress.com for more information.
These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Are Credit Card Points Worth It
Your lifestyle and spending habits will influence whether reward points are worth it to you. There may also be opportunities to earn cash back points by making your regular grocery, department store, and gas station purchases on a reward credit card. Frequent travelers may find it convenient and worthwhile to book hotel rooms and flights through select travel booking sites to earn miles or points or enroll in co-branded loyalty programs for exclusive point accumulation. Bonus promotions could also offer new users generous point redemption, depending on the promotion being offered.
Read Also: Best Buy Card Application
What To Consider Before Taking A Reward Credit Card
As they offer such rewards, these kinds of credit cards may have higher fees and potentially a higher interest rate. So before taking a reward credit card you want to be confident youll be able to repay your balance in full each month and also can afford to pay the annual fee. If not, you may end up paying more in interest and fees than you earn in rewards.
Why Should You Apply For A Kotak Bank Credit Card
At Kotak Mahindra Bank, we understand the diversity of our customers needs. Hence Kotak Bank offers a wide range of credit cards based on your buying preferences. We have categorized our credit card rewards centred on your preferences such as entertainment, shopping, dining, travel and lounge access. Depending on your purchase inclinations, you are free to choose a credit card that earns you extra points on the things that matter the most to you. So go ahead, explore and compare our wide assortment of credit cards in order to find the perfect match. Once you find the right credit card, you will be able to earn as you spend!
Don’t Miss: Does Venmo Allow Credit Cards
Benefits Of Credit Card Reward Points
- Few credit card providers allow their cardholders to convert their reward points into cash.
- Depending on the type of card you hold, you can use your reward points to pay your annual fee.
- Cardholders can use their reward points to make flight or hotel bookings.
- Most credit cards also allow the cardholders to get a cashback using their reward points.
Get in touch with your credit card provider and educate yourself about the reward program available on your card.
Want To Learn More About Rewards Credit Cards And How They Work
Check out our range of eight online courses designed to help you better understand credit cards. With an average time of 20 minutes to complete each course, our program guides you through what you need to know, making it super easy for you to find the right card for you and get the most out of it. Best of all? Its free.
Recommended Reading: What Is Vioc On My Credit Card
How To Redeem Cash
Despite the term “cash back,” most people don’t actually take their cash-back rewards in the form of, well, cash back. The easiest and most common thing to do is to apply your rewards to your account as a statement credit. This directly reduces the amount you owe. You’re not getting literal cash back from the issuer, but less cash will be coming out of your pocket to pay the bill, so the effect is the same.
Depending on the card, you could also get your rewards deposited directly into your bank account or receive them as a check in the mail. Some cards set a minimum amount to redeem, usually $20 or $25. Other cards have no minimum for redemption.
» MORE: For cash-back options beyond those featured on this page, see our best cash-back credit cards.
Does The Card Network Matter Visa Vs Mastercard Vs American Express
All credit cards and that certainly includes rewards credit cards work because theyre on a credit card network that sends a message from the merchant to the bank that issues the card, to let that bank know that youve made a purchase. The three networks that host basically all credit cards in Canada are Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. The question, then, is whether it makes a difference which network your card is on.
Lets start with the network where it may make the most difference: American Express. Many consumers already have the notion that American Express cards are not as widely accepted as either Visa or Mastercard, and thats true. And that may cause some consumers to skip over Amex cards. The problem with that, especially when it comes to rewards credit cards, is that American Express simply offers the best rewards credit cards. The rewards and welcome bonuses are more generous and the perks beyond the points are compelling.
So what should you do if you want a top-notch rewards card, but are concerned about Amex cards being accepted? For one, know that most of the major restaurants, retailers, and services that you use do accept Amex. There are notable exceptions, like Loblaws and Costco, but outside of that, whether its Tim Hortons or McDonalds, Sobeys or Metro, Canadian Tire or Amazon.ca, your American Express card will be accepted.
Don’t Miss: My Best Buy Visa Gold Card
Watch For The Multiple Bonuses With Multiple Timeframes
On some cards, especially those with the biggest bonuses, there are multiple timeframes for earning your bonuses. Most typical is an initial bonus you can earn by spending a certain amount in the first two or three months of card ownership, followed by a secondary bonus you can earn by spending a certain amount every month throughout the first year of card ownership.
Things To Consider When It Comes To Credit Card Points
How you earn and redeem your credit card rewards points is up to you. There are a few key things to remember when you sign up for a rewards credit card:
- For most cards, only purchases earn rewards points. Balance transfers, cash advances, interest fees, and other non-purchase charges typically won’t earn credit card points. Each credit card is unique, so double check your terms and conditions for more information.
- Promotional and bonus offers usually have an expiration date. Read the fine print to know when your offer to earn more credit card rewards points expires and what you need to do to earn your bonus.
- Bonus categories are important for maximizing reward points. Some credit cards offer extra reward points when you purchase from select categories like groceries, gas or dining out. Make sure to learn about the rewards program for your credit card so you can choose the best card for your spending habits.
- Select merchants might offer higher rewards rates or better credit card point values. Check with your credit card to see which ones are best for you.
- There might be a cap to how many credit card rewards points you can earn in a category or redeem at a time again, check your terms and agreements for more information.
- Rewards points will typically appear in your rewards account if you continue to pay at least the minimum due on your credit card.
- The credit card rewards program that’s right for you is out there. Start your search with Citi credit cards.
Don’t Miss: Pay Processing Fee For First Premier Bank
About Those Welcome Bonuses
You dont want to miss out on welcome bonuses when youre comparing rewards credit cards, because they can get very generous in Canada. And we mean very generous. Welcome bonuses for many of the top cards can easily be in the $100s, and some can even get above $1,000.
There are a few things that you have to know about welcome bonuses to get the most out of them .
The Motley Fool Canada’s Featured Rewards Credit Cards At A Glance:
|American Express Cobalt ® Card||Featured all-around rewards card||Up to 30,000 Membership Rewards® points in the first year||$155.88|
|Up to 45,000 Scene+ points||$120|
|American Express & reg Aeroplan & reg Reserve Card||Featured high-end rewards card||Earn up to 110,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points. and 5,000 points for each billing period in which you spend $1,000 during the first 12 months).||$599|
|Featured cash back rewards card||Earn 10% cash back for the first 4 months .||$99|
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||Featured no-fee rewards card||Earn an extra 15% back when you apply for a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card by January 31, 2022 and spend up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within your first two months.*||$0|
You May Like: Bestbuy Credit Cards
What Are The Types Of Rewards Credit Cards
There are three types of rewards credit cards. The first is a card that is offered through a specific airline or hotel chain that allows you to earn rewards towards awards with that company or its partners.
The second is flexible rewards credit cards. Flexible cards offer you the ability to transfer to a number of different travel partners in addition to being able to redeem miles directly for travel. You can redeem for travel via statement credit or purchasing from the credit cards website depending on the specific card.
Finally, you have cards that allow you to redeem rewards for statement credit, sometimes for a specific category such as travel, or that offer cash back rewards you could then use on whatever you would like.
Us Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
Our pick for: Road trips
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card is one of the most generous cards on the market if you’re taking to the skies or the road, thanks to the quadruple points it earns on travel and at gas stations. It’s also a solid card for everyday expenses like groceries, dining and streaming, and it comes with ongoing credits that can offset its annual fee: $0 intro for the first year, then $95. Read our review.
Recommended Reading: Pay My Cabelas Visa