Everyday Spending: Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card
Annual fee: $139Cash advance interest: 22.99%Balance transfer interest: 22.99%
This is the best travel credit card in Canada for those who spend money regularly on groceries, entertainment, and retail while travelling. Travellers gain points faster spending with this card than other options that offer no annual fees.
Like many travel cards with annual fees, Scotiabank Passportâ¢ Visa Infinite Card requires a minimum income for approval. Individuals who make at least $60k a year and a household income of $100k a year are eligible. You can qualify for this card with a credit score of at least 660.
Everyday spending accumulates points while saving money for the cardholder. Members of this premium travel card enjoy benefits such as:
- The only major bank credit card with no foreign transaction fees. This offer applies to online shopping as well
- Six free airport lounge passes a year
- Earn as much as 35,000 bonus points in 12 months, which equals $350 toward vacation
- 25,000 points after spending $1000 on travel during the first 90 days
Cardholders protect themselves with high-quality travel insurance perks as well. This card offers baggage insurance, rental car insurance, travel emergency medical insurance, accident insurance, and trip cancellation insurance.
Collect points fast by earning two per $1 on groceries, entertainment, food and drink, and transit. You also earn one point per $1 on other categories.
How To Use An Airline Credit Card
Since purchase categories, like dining and travel, are rewarded differently depending on the card, make sure you pick one that matches your expenses. You can also maximize your miles earnings by rotating cards with different earning categories. For instance, you could use the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card for all your Delta, U.S. supermarket and restaurant purchases, and use the Discover it® Miles to earn 1.5 miles per $1 on the rest of your purchases.
Also, list out the benefits you have with a particular airline card. Premium credit cards with large annual fees offer a long list of benefits such as status boosters, checked bag fee waivers, lounge access and statements credits for enrolling in TSA PreCheck/Global Entry that can easily go unused. Paying a high annual fee without utilizing the benefits can be a waste, so if you don’t travel often, look for airline credit cards with no annual fee or a low annual fee.
If a premium card is the best credit card option for you, keep track of how often you use the benefits.
Pros And Cons Of An Airline Credit Card
The table below breaks down the biggest airline credit card pros and cons:
- Benefits may be restricted to one airline
- Most airline cards charge an annual fee
- High interest rates
- Need good credit to qualify
Here are more details on the advantages of airline cards:
- Airline benefits: There are all kinds of airline benefits that these cards offer, especially with high-end cards that have bigger annual fees. Examples include free checked luggage for you and your travel companions, priority boarding, airport lounge access, and a statement credit towards air travel purchases.
- Miles on purchases: It’s easy to collect miles when you have an airline credit card. When you use your travel card for an eligible purchase, you’ll earn miles. Most airline cards also have bonus categories, such as purchases with the airline, dining, or hotels, where you get extra miles.
- Valuable sign-up bonuses: Just about every airline credit card has a sign-up bonus you get after spending enough within a set timeframe. Sign-up bonuses are often enough for one or more free flights, so they add quite a bit of value.
- No foreign transaction fee: Besides the rare exception, airline cards typically don’t charge a foreign transaction fee. This makes them great .
Next, we’ll look at the disadvantages:
You May Like: Alcon Visa Debit Card Balance
Capital One Ventureone Rewards Credit Card
Best for flexible travel miles with no annual fee
- This card is best for: Travelers who say yes to transferring miles to travel partners and no to paying annual fees.
- This card is not a great choice for: People who put a premium on earning super-sized rewards rates in multiple categories. The VentureOne earns a flat 1.25X miles per $1 on all eligible purchases.
- What makes this card unique? Cardholders will soon have access to Capital One Lounges at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and Dulles International Airport , a nice perk for a no-annual-fee card.
- Is this card worth it? Although the VentureOne is a step down from options like Capital Ones flagship Venture card, the access to transfer partners provides value through versatility.
Jump back to offer details.
How Can You Use Airline Card Miles And Points
Although most airline rewards cards encourage holders to redeem points for flights or incidentals, many allow them to be spent on other travel-related purchases or even items that have nothing to do with travel. These include online gift cards, clothing, and even general statement credits.
Still, the best way to redeem miles or points earned on your airline credit card is usually for travel. On a co-branded card, that means flights or upgrades with the partner airline or airline alliance. On a general-purpose card, that means airfare, flight upgrades, or non-airfare travel purchases like hotel rooms or rental cars.
Read Also: What Bank Does Best Buy Credit Card
Do I Care About Perks
Many airline credit cards offer great perks,like free lounge access or discounted in-flight purchases. These perks typically come at a cost though. Airline credit cards tend to come with higher annual fees. An elevated travel experience might be worth it if you travel often or just prefer it. Be sure youre willing to spend the extra money for the benefits.
How Do We Value Airline Miles And Points
To arrive at those valuations, our research digs deep to compare the cost of buying flights to the number of miles required to acquire them through rewards. Where some other websites that cover cards take single snapshots of airfares, we research flight costs for a number of different fare classes, including economy, business, and first-class fares, and for both domestic and international destinations.
Further, we look at fare data for a number of advance-booking scenarios, ranging from one to five months prior to departure. A few caveats to our valuations, though. Fuel surcharges are not included in our calculations, in part because some airlines charge these and some do not.
Also, valuations are based on using rewards to buy further flights on the carrier other redemption options may provide less value. Finally, despite diligent research, our valuations are only estimates the precise value youll receive for each mile or point will vary by the transaction.
You May Like: Bestbuypayment
Ought To You Get An Airline Credit Score Card
When you journey rather a lot for enterprise or pleasure, its exhausting to make the case in opposition to maintaining no less than one airline rewards bank card in your pockets. When you dont have a well-liked airline, a general-purpose journey rewards card works simply effective to cut back your journey prices over time.
However airline bank cards and premium journey playing cards on the whole arent for everybody. These playing cards are inclined to have larger annual charges than different forms of bank cards, and their rewards forex usually isnt as versatile.
When you as a substitute favor a card with higher phrases for carried balances and decrease charges total, go for a low APR bank card with fewer perks and rewards. Even essentially the most beneficiant airline rewards applications and journey advantages cant counteract the detrimental results of carrying bank card balances for months on finish.
What Credit Card Gives The Best Flight Points
Our research shows that the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card card has the best rewards program for earning flight points and miles. Out of all the credit card rewards programs, Chase Ultimate Rewards provides the best transfer options. You can move your miles at a 1:1 ratio to any of the 10+ airline partners including Southwest, United and Singapore Airlines. In addition, your points are worth even more when you book travel through the Chase travel portal. If you hold the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, your points are worth 1.25 cents per point.
Recommended Reading: How To Activate Cabelas Credit Card
Can Travel Rewards Credit Cards Be Used For Free Hotel Stays
Yes, you can redeem miles and points for hotel stays. If your goal is to save money on hotel accommodations instead of airfare, many of the major hotel chains, including Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriott, offer their own co-branded rewards credit cards that will help you earn the most points.
If youre still set on an airline credit card, not to worry many airlines maintain partnerships that allow the exchange of points across their affiliates for significant discounts.
Expiration Dates On Frequent Flyer Points
Some frequent flyer points never expire, but some expire within a certain timeframe, or if you dont use your card for a specified amount of time.
|Frequent Flyer program|
|No expiry, but points will be lost if all cards connected to the program are cancelled||
Happily, if youre choosing a frequent flyer credit card, its easy to keep your account active because youll be earning points every time you spend on your card.
Always check the fine print of the frequent flyer program for expiration policies, and any situations where they may cancel the rewards program.
You May Like: Visa Best Buy Card
Can You Get Free Flights With An Airline Credit Card
Yes. Many airline credit cards offer sign-up bonuses generous enough to cover the cost of a one-way or round-trip flight. You just need to spend a few thousand dollars in the space of a few months or, better yet, make a qualifying purchase with the co-branded airline.
If your airline credit card doesnt have a generous sign-up bonus, you can still rack up enough miles or points to get a free flight. Youll just have to spend more on your card.
Identify Your Carrier Of Choice
If you do fly frequently, consider next whether you tend to do so on the same carrier. If so, that brands airline credit card could help you earn award flights more quickly, qualify for elite status and receive perks that let you travel in style. If youre more likely to fly on a variety of carriers throughout the year or you like to comparison-shop for deals across travel providers, consider a general purpose travel credit card. Were partial to the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, which offers 2X miles on general purchases and lets you redeem rewards as statement credits for a wide variety of travel expenses.
Recommended Reading: Citibank Best Buy Credit Card App
Best No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards
One of just two credit cards from Canadaâs big banks to waive its foreign transaction fees , the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite also offers impressive lounge access benefits and is issued by Visa so itâs more widely accepted when travelling outside of North America.
In terms of everyday rewards, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite will earn you two Scotia Rewards points for every dollar you spend on eligible grocery stores, dining, entertainment , and daily transit purchases . For all your other purchases, youâll get one point per dollar. As a new Scotiabank cardholder, you can also earn up to 30,000 bonus points when you make at least $1,000 in everyday purchases within the first three months and another 10,000 points when you spend at least $40,000 on the card annually. 1 Scotia Rewards point is worth $0.01 when redeemed for flights on any airline.
Why we like it:
The cardâs lack of foreign transaction fees is the cherry on top of a number of perks including a $300 travel points bonus and Priority Pass membership with six free visits per year to over 1,200 lounges worldwide. As with other Visa Infinite cards, cardholders have access to the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection and Visa Infinite Dining Series.
For Good Credit: Brim Mastercard
- Unlimited access to Boingo Wi-Fi while travelling
- Instant notifications on any purchase in and out of the country
Users can take advantage of mobile and travel accident insurance when selecting Brim Mastercard.
Members score 1 point per every $1 on everyday purchases. For airlines, they score 3 points per every $1 on Lufthansa, Etihad, Avianca, and Emirates. Lastly, cardholders will score 4 points per $1 on select retailers.
Recommended Reading: Self Serve Valero
How Can I Earn Credit Card Miles Aside From Everyday Spending
Signup bonuses, anniversary milestones, , and referral programs are additional ways to earn miles and points. To cash in on a sign up bonus, youll need to meet a certain spending threshold within the first few months your account is open.
An anniversary milestone occurs when a credit card rewards you annually for staying active with them. The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card, for example, offers anniversary milestones for spending on select travel and business categories.
When you add an authorized user to your air miles credit card, theyll be able to use it as well. If both of you use the same card, youll likely rack up more miles or points. Some credit card issuers may also reward you for referring your friends and family to their cards.
These are just some of the rewards offered when you refer a friend or family member for an eligible Chase credit card.
Chase, for instance, will allow you to earn up to an additional 20,000 points for each friend who is approved for any Marriott Bonvoy credit card, up to 100,000 points per year.
Why Should I Get A Credit Card
Owning even one credit card responsibly helps build credit and increase your credit score over time, signalling to potential lenders that you are reliable and trustworthy. Credit is important for major purchases such as cars and homes. Credit cards can also earn you money on purchases and offer added bonuses such as travel points and insurance.
Recommended Reading: Td Bank Balance Gift Card
What Are The Best Air Miles Credit Cards From American Express
If youd like to use an American Express card to earn miles, you have several options available to you. The Platinum Card® is a great choice because its long list of perks are hard to find elsewhere.
With this card, youll enjoy a hefty intro bonus and generous Membership Rewards® Points. Youll also receive other perks like travel credits, airport lounge access, and complimentary Gold Status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors.
In addition, you can select an American Express credit card like the Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card. If you prefer a Delta flight, it can save you a lot of money.
This card offers the most points for spending categories such as eating out and ordering in, gas stations, rideshares, flights, hotels, and homestays.
Instant Cashback: American Express Green Card
Interest: 20.99%Cash advance interest: 21.99%Balance transfer interest: N/A
The American ExpressÂ® Green Card is the best travel credit card in Canada for those who want instant cashback. This card requires at least a 660 credit score for qualification. No minimum individual or household income requirements make this card accessible for many Canadians.
American ExpressÂ® Green Card benefits and features include the following:
- Owners enjoy a welcome bonus of 10,000 points, equaling $100
- American Express Experiences and Front Of The LineÂ® perks allow members to access specific shows and events in Canada
- Earn 1x points on every purchase, allowing cardholders to accumulate travel points fast
American ExpressÂ® Green Card members score 1 point per every $1 on purchases around the globe.
Recommended Reading: Td Bank Gift Card Online
What Is The 5/24 Rule For Credit Cards
Chase may automatically decline your credit card application if youve opened five or more personal credit cards in the last 24 months, which is generally referred to as the “5/24 Rule”. The rule is not official and has not been announced by Chase instead, everything we know about it comes from multiple user reports. Keep in mind that this is just one factor in a credit decision you may be declined for a credit card if you don’t meet the minimum credit score, credit history or income requirements.
How To Maximize Your Travel Credit Cards Rewards
Thereâs more to making the most of your travel credit card than just charging all of your purchases on it. With a little know-how and effort, cardholders can boost the benefits of any reward card.
1. One of the main ways to maximize your travel credit card is to use it responsibly by paying off the balance in full each and every month. All the bonuses and benefits in the world wonât make up for the hundreds of dollars in potential interest charges you could add to your balance if you donât pay it off in full every month. Not to mention the hit your credit score could take if you have a negligent repayment history. If you consistently carry a balance, a low interest credit card or one with a generous balance transfer option would likely be a better fit.
2. Travel credit cards are geared mostly towards travel redemptions. Though you can often use points or miles for statement credits, merchandise or gift cards, these options typically offer less value for your points than they would if redeemed for flight or hotel redemptions. For example, Scotia Rewards Points are worth $0.01 if you redeem them for travel, but lose about a third of their value if you redeem them for a statement credit. Generally speaking, if you donât travel much yet want to reap significant rewards, itâs likely that youâll get more bang for your buck with a cash back credit card instead.
Don’t Miss: Banks That Use Transunion For Personal Loans