Highest Cash Back Cards For Students
If any group of cardholders could use some extra cash back, its college students. Cash back credit cards for students are designed to reward responsible credit usage, while also offering up to 5% cash back on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and other places students use their cards.
Everyone knows school is expensive, so why not get a little help in the form of cash back on those expenses.
|$0||Fair/New to Credit|
With the Discover it® Student chrome card, students can earn a higher cash back rate at two of the places theyre most likely to use their card gas stations and restaurants. No need to worry about rotating categories. All other purchases earn a lesser reward rate.
Best Cash Back Credit Card With A 0% Intro Apr
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 spent on quarterly rotating bonus categories with activation
- Get bonus rewards on dining, drugstore and Chase Ultimate Rewards travel
- Extended warranty and purchase protection
- Cell phone protection up to $800 per claim
- 15-month intro APR on purchases and balance transfers
- Purchase protection
- Rotating bonus categories are capped at $1,500 in purchases per quarter
- You have to remember to enroll in the categories each quarter to earn 5% cash back
- Foreign transaction fee of 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
The Chase Freedom Flex is the best cash rewards credit card with a long 0% intro APR. You’ll enjoy a 0% Intro APR on Purchases for 15 months and 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months, which could save a significant amount of interest if you need longer to pay off your balances over time .
This cash back card earns up to 5% back in rotating categories that rotate each quarter. Youll 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter! Plus, earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% on dining and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases. And when you Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening!
Best For Us Dollar Purchases
Rogers World Elite® Mastercard®
- 19.99% for purchases, 22.99% for cash advances.
- Rewards Rate% on purchases made in U.S. dollars. 1.5% on everything else.
- Intro Offer$25Get $25 in cash-back rewards when you make your first card purchase within 3 months of receiving your card.
- Our TakeWhy we like itThe Rogers World Elite Mastercard is a no-fee card with an easy-to-understand cash-back rewards program with an accelerated earn rate on U.S. dollar purchases. And unlike some no-fee cards, it still offers valuable perks for those who like to travel.Pros
- Rewards are easy to understand, $1 in cash-back rewards = $1 toward an eligible purchase or bill credit, and you can redeem rewards instantly using the Rogers Bank app.
- Attractive travel benefits are included, like access to over 1,000 LoungeKey airport lounges, free Boingo Wi-Fi at over 1 million hotspots worldwide, and several types of travel insurance.
- A more modest intro offer than some cards, at just $25 in cash-back rewards when you make your first purchase.
- You must spend at least $15,000 each year to maintain the card.
Read Also: How Much Dubai Visa Cost
I Prefer The Earn Rates And Perks Of Travel Credit Cards More Than Cash Back Credit Cards Can I Redeem Travel Rewards For Cash Back
Some travel cards let you redeem points for statement credit to cover any travel expense, including refundable bookings. Examples include credit cards that earn Scotia Rewards points, HSBC Rewards points, MBNA Rewards points, or American Express Membership Rewards points.
Other types of travel rewards may let you redeem for cash back, but often at a very poor rate when compared to flights or hotels. In these cases, its better to redeem points directly towards your travel plans.
Whichever type of credit card you apply for, make sure you think about the value you expect to redeem the points for, before you submit your application.
Can You Negotiate For Better Cash Back Rates
However, if the cash back credit card you initially selected is no longer meeting your needs or wants, you can always change to another cash back card from a different issuer or the same company. Be sure to check your eligibility for getting a new cash back credit card before applying, and check with your current card issuer to see what other options may be available.
Recommended Reading: Which Credit Card Is Best For Hotel Booking
The Best Credit Cards To Save Money On Gas
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you sign up for a credit card after clicking one of our links, we may earn a small fee for referring you. However, our picks and opinions are independent from USA TODAY’s newsroom and any business incentives.
Now that the price of regular gas has soared nationwide, you could be spending more money than ever at the pump. One way to offset those rising costs is by using a payment method that pays you back. The right gas rewards card could help you earn cash back or points each time you fill upor even when you’re spending money elsewhere.
Theres a lot more where this came from. to get all our reviews, expert advice, deals and more.
When youre watching the gas meter tally up your bill, knowing you may be able to redeem those points or cash back for statement credits, gift cards, and more could be a relief. While rewards rates can vary, cards on this list offer as much as 5% cash back when you spend money at gas stations. These are top cards to consider adding to your wallet for gas rewards:
Best for a long commute: Citi Custom Cash® Card
Best for gas and groceries: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Best for warehouse shopping: Costco Anywhere Visa® Card
Best for gas and EV charging: U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Best for gas and dining: PNC Cash Rewards® Visa® Credit Card
Best for traveling: Citi Premier® Card
Capital One Spark Classic For Business
- No bonuses for traditional business spending categories
- Does not offer a welcome bonus
Running a business can be harder if you don’t have good credit. If you have had credit problems in the past or are just starting your credit journey, the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business may be for you. You can be approved with credit scores starting between 600 and 660, then build your credit with responsible use of the card. There are $0 annual fees and employee cards can be added for free, with the ability to set individual credit limits for each employee. The card earns an unlimited 1% Cash Back on every purchase and your rewards never expire. Plus, you can earn 5% cash back on hotel and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.
Don’t Miss: How Old For Credit Card
How To Choose A Rewards Credit Card
Focus on these five things as you examine rewards card options, and you might find it a bit easier to decide:
What about APR? Indeed. You may notice that we dont focus much on interest rates or APR on this page, and theres good reason for that. In many cases, we believe that APR shouldnt be an important factor in choosing a card. Though that doesnt apply in all cases, we have chosen to deemphasize APR when comparing rewards credit cards. You can also read more about our reasoning.
How Can I Compare Cashback Credit Cards
If you are interested in getting a credit card with cash back rewards, here are the key details to look at when you’re comparing your options:
- The cashback amount. Look at the value of the cash rewards you’ll collect versus the card’s overall cost. If the value of the cashback isn’t worth it, you might find a $0 annual fee or an interest free credit card with a 0% purchase rate offer more suitable for you.
- Reward caps. Some cashback cards have a limit. For example, you might be able to get 1% cashback but have a limit of $30 back per month. If you often spend more than $3,000 per month, you’re not going to be able to maximise your rewards with that card.
- Introductory offer requirements. If a credit card has an introductory cashback offer, make sure you understand the spend criteria before you apply.
- Ineligible transactions. While most everyday purchases are eligible to earn cashback rewards, transactions such as cash advances, bill payments and balance transfers are usually ineligible.
- Rewards value. If you have a rewards credit card that offers cash back and other types of rewards , you can check to see if there are rewards that have a higher retail or regular price value than the cashback amount.
- Other card features. Make sure you also consider the card’s standard variable purchase rate as well as any additional charges, fees and complimentary extras. Along with the rewards and annual fee, these features will help you decide if the card suits all your needs.
You May Like: How To Activate Victoria Secret Credit Card
Reward Points & Air Miles Vs Cashback Credit Cards
There are two types of card which earn you money as you spend. Cashback credit cards pay you back in cold, hard cash. Well, its usually credit to your card, but you get to spend that as you want.
Reward cards are slightly different as you get points, which are usually then transferred into vouchers at the linked retailer.
Sometimes the points are for airline schemes and you use them to get cheap flights or upgrades. However these come with restrictions so unless you fly regularly and rack up lots of these I think youre better off avoiding these, or in the case of Avios, converting them to Nectar.
Best Cash Back Credit Cards For August 2022
With cash back credit cards, you can save money when you shop. These cards give you a set percentage back on purchases, and that money can be used to lower your credit card bill or boost your bank account. A big part of maximizing your cash back is choosing the right card. The best cash back credit cards could help you secure lucrative rewards. In the list below, you’ll find our favorite cash back credit cards on the market today.
Don’t Miss: Can You Track Your Credit Card
Bmo Cashback World Elite* Mastercard*
The BMO® CashBack® World Elite®* Mastercard®* is one of the best cash back Mastercard credit card in Canada.
For a limited time, you will earn 10% cash back on all purchases for the first three months . Besides, the annual fee is waived in the first year!
With the BMO® CashBack® World Elite®* Mastercard®*, you earn between 2% and 5% cash back on many spending categories:
- 5% on grocery purchases
- 4% on transit
- 3% on gas and electric vehicle charging
- 2% on recurring bill payments
Everywhere else, youll earn 1% cash back, including at Costco.
Finally, it is one of the only credit cards in its category to offer an extended warranty of 2 additional years.
How To Redeem Travel Rewards
How you go about cashing in your travel rewards depends on the type of card you earned them on and what you want to do with them. In most cases, you’ll be redeeming either through your card issuer or through the loyalty program tied to the card.
Redeeming rewards on general-purpose travel cards
With a general-purpose travel card, you can usually use your points to pay for travel ahead of time by going through your card issuer’s booking portal, which operates much like Orbitz or Expedia. Many cards also allow you to turn your points into statement credit for travel expenses already incurred. With this option, you use your card to book travel however you want, and then wipe out the cost on your statement by applying your points to your balance. You’ll also go through your issuer’s rewards portal to transfer points to airline or hotel programs.
You might have other options for using your points on general travel cards, such as for cash back or gift cards, but be careful with these options. You’ll often get a lower value per point for non-travel redemptions.
Redeeming airline or hotel rewards
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Your Credit Card Balance
How To Pick The Best Credit Cards With Cash Back
With a wide variety of credit cards in the market, choosing the best one for your needs is easier said than done. To make the most of it, there are a few things to consider its features and the effort you need to invest to earn cash back.
To help you decide what would be the best cash back rewards credit cards, check out our guide.
Figure out what kind of cash back card you want
Cash back credit cards may be classified into three categories: flat-rate, fixed bonus, and changing bonus category.
Flat-rate cash back credit cards grant you the same rewards regardless of what you buy and where you shop. They are the simplest to handle as you dont have to look out for eligible categories while shopping. Citi® Double Cash Back and Capital One® Spark Cash are some of the best flat-rate cash back credit cards.
Fixed bonus category credit cards reward you for specific purchases, e.g., grocery or gas shopping, bus rides, or eating out at specific restaurants. They reward other purchases as well, but with a significantly lower cash back rate.
Unlike fixed, changing bonus categories tend to change according to the season or quarter. To earn cash back, you need to activate each of the categories every quarter.
Bank of America® Cash Rewards and Blue Cash Preferred® are credit cards with high cash back from the fixed, whereas Discover it® Cash Back and Chase Freedom FlexSM offer the best rewards from the changing category.
Know your spending habits
Check the rates & fees
Best No Fee Cash Back Credit Card
- Earn $25 cash back upon first purchase
- Plus, earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- Also, earn bonus cash back to offset the foreign transaction fee on USD purchases
- Minimum income: $80,000 personal or $150,000 household
- Annual fee: $0
If youre looking for a simple solution, the Rogers World Elite Mastercard is the card for you. While other cards offer better category earn rates, theres no better choice for a budget-conscious spender.
The card earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases. This rate is the de facto benchmark for other World Elite Mastercards, but the Rogers World Elite has the advantage of having no annual fee. If youre primarily concerned about keeping costs down, you wont find another card with a better all-round cash back rate.
Also, the card gives higher rewards on US-dollar purchases to offset the foreign exchange fee. This gives you peace of mind not to fret about extra costs if youre doing any online shopping on US sites or going for a jaunt over the border.
Whether you like the simplicity of only using one card, or a high earn rate on uncategorized spending at no extra cost, theres a place for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard in every wallet. Theres one caveat, though: you do need to spend $15,000 per year on the card to maintain your World Elite tier, so its much better as your primary card than as a backup that only sees occasional use.
Fund Your Next Vacation
As inflation pushes prices higher, the costs of travel increase, which includes airfares and hotel rooms. A travel rewards credit card can help you save on your next trip and allow you to earn points or miles on every purchase you make, often with elevated rewards on travel purchases.
Some of the best also offer benefits to enhance your travel experience, like access to airport lounges, priority boarding, free checked baggage or late hotel checkout. If you’re a brand loyalist, you can get even more specific — and often higher value — rewards with a hotel credit card or airline credit card. These can net you free night stays at the hotel chain and discounts on in-flight purchases, respectively, as well as other perks.
Best For 2% Cash Rewards: Wells Fargo Active Cash Card
- Best features: The Wells Fargo Active Cash keeps it simple by letting you earn an unlimited 2% flat cash rewards rate on your purchases. No rotating categories. No enrollment. No need to think about which card to use for each purchase.
- Biggest drawbacks: If youre assigned this cards high-end APR, you could be stuck with hefty interest charges should you carry a balance beyond the introductory APR period. Plus, this cards perks are limited compared to those of some pricier rewards cards.
- Alternatives: If youre looking for a card with a generous base rate plus some additional perks, check out the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, which earns at least 1.5% cash back on all purchases and allows you to transfer points to a higher-tier Ultimate Rewards card and redeem for travel at an up to 50% higher value.
- Bottom line: The Active Cash Card is a hassle-free credit card for people who value simplicity and consistent flat-rate cash rewards over earning high rewards in specific categories.
You May Like: What Is The Venmo Credit Card