Capital One Platinum Secured
- Required security deposit: $49, $99, $200
- Annual fee: $0
- Editors thoughts: This card is our top-rated secured credit card thanks to its no annual fee and numerous credit building perks
The Capital One Platinum Secured is a great option for those looking to rebuild their credit with a no annual fee secured card. A $49, $99, or $200 refundable minimum security deposit is required to open your account. This deposit helps protect Capital One since it is fronting you money that you will repay each month.
Capital One will report your payments to all three major credit bureaus, and youll be automatically considered for a higher credit limit on your account. Cardholders can monitor their credit with CreditWise from Capital One.
Other benefits of this card:
- Pick your monthly due date and payment method
- $0 fraud coverage if your card is lost or stolen
- No foreign transaction fees
- Contactless payment for more secure transactions
The Capital One Platinum Secured is a good fit for those looking to rebuild their credit. Based on over 13,000 reviews on the Capital One website, 91% of reviewers recommend the card.
To learn more about this card and its benefits, .
How Did We Choose The Best Capital One Credit Cards
To determine which Capital One credit cards were the best, we reviewed cards offered through our partner and rated them against each other. We then selected the top Capital One cards in the cash back category, the travel category, the student category, and the credit building category. This means that not only are these cards rated against each other, they are also rated highly amongst other credit cards on the market.
Factors used to determine our Editorial Ratings included introductory APR offers, welcome bonuses, rewards rates, redemption options, added benefits, annual fees, foreign transaction fees, and whether an issuer was nationally recognized.
How Do Costco Credit Cards Work
The Costco cards are co-branded, open-loop credit cards you can use to shop anywhere. They are Visa cards, the only payment network Costco accepts in its stores. You need a Costco membership to get and keep these cards, which explains why the cards charge no annual fee.
You can apply for a Costco credit card online by providing your membership number, personal information, and financial data, including your total annual income and monthly mortgage or rent payment. You can also add when applying for the card.
Citibank, the card issuer, evaluates applications according to its credit standards. The bank does this for all its cards, including the Citi® Double Cash Card and others covered on our Citi credit card review page. The bank will perform a hard credit inquiry when you apply, which will shave a few points off your credit score.
Citi also reviews your income and debts when assessing your application. You must be 18 and a resident of the US or Puerto Rico to qualify for these cards. The business card requires you to have a business account with Costco.
Upon approval, the issuer will assign you a credit limit based on your annual income and debt. The minimum credit limit is $500, but the card may limit cash advances to a portion of your credit line.
After you receive approval and activate your card, Costco will automatically bill your membership fee and charge the cost to the credit card.
Don’t Miss: Credit Cards That Pull Experian Only 2021
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Best overall for students
- This card is best for: Students who want to earn substantial cash back rewards right away without too much hassle.
- This card is not a great choice for: Students looking to take advantage of even higher cash back rewards in certain spending categories.
- What makes this card unique? The Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards card has one of the highest flat-rate cash back rewards rates for students. Students can earn unlimited 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases
- Is the Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card worth it? Students who want to earn considerable cash rewards quickly will fare well with the Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards card. Theres no annual fee or foreign transaction fees, so you dont have to worry too much about onerous charges.
Jump back to offer details.
Capital One Walmart Credit Card Benefits
We love the desert landscape and part of the reason we moved to Las Vegas this year is because of how easy it is to access amazing outdoor spots. During the Fall, Winter, and Spring, we spend a lot of time road tripping to different National Parks and climbing spots.
Along the way, we usually make a stop at Walmart to pick up supplies. When we heard the announcement for the new Capital One Walmart Rewards Card, we had to check out what they are offering since we already love their Capital One Venture card.
You May Like: Premier Ingolocator Com
What Are Capital One Miles Rewards
Capital One miles rewards are earned on every purchase made with either the Venture X, Venture, VentureOne or Spark Miles credit cards. You can redeem your miles at a fixed value or by transferring rewards to airline and hotel partners. This means your rewards are flexible they can cover expenses for standard airline and hotel charges but also for non-traditional travel purchases such as helicopter rides or cruises .
TPG currently values Capital One miles rewards at 1.85 cents per mile. While we dont value them quite as high as Amex or Chase points , youre still getting a solid value from your miles.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Annual fee: $0
Sign-up bonus: Earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
Rewards: Earn a fixed and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
Benefits: The Quicksilver from Capital One is about as simplified as you can get, so for people who dont want to spend time learning award charts and maxing out transfer bonuses, it can be a decent option. Its rewards are not the best rate on the market, but are passable, especially for a no-annual-fee card. While the sign-up bonus isnt massive, the spending requirement is low. That said, if youre in the market for a no-annual-fee cash back card like this, youd likely be better off picking the Citi® Double Cash Card instead. Theres also the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card, but it comes with a $39 annual fee.
Recommended Reading: Cabela’s Card Interest Rate
Digital Tools And Account Management
In todayâs digital world, shouldnât your credit card be able to keep up? Luckily, the advantages of some credit cards include a wide range of digital access.
- Manage your account on the go. Your credit card issuer might have an appâlike the Capital One Mobile appâyou can use to manage your account anywhere, anytime.
- Never forget a payment. Having trouble remembering when your payment is due? Easy. All you have to do is set up automatic payments for your account to have it done for you. Capital Oneâs AutoPay gives you multiple options to decide how much you pay every month.
- Manage your finances. Digital features like Eno, your Capital One assistant, help keep an eye on your accounts 24/7 and send alerts when somethingâs up. Eno can also help you keep track of subscriptions, duplicate charges, refunds and more.
- Monitor your credit.Monitoring your credit is a great way to keep track of your progress and make sure your credit report is error free. And with digital tools like , you can access your TransUnionÂ® credit report and VantageScoreÂ® 3.0 credit score online without hurting your score. And itâs free for everyone, not just Capital One customers.
Journey Student Rewards From Capital One: Best For Students
Why we picked it: The Journey Student Rewards card incentivizes healthy credit habits with built-in features like a 25% boost to your rewards earnings for paying your bill on time each month. Instead of 1% cash back on general purchases, youll get 1.25%. Also, cardholders are automatically considered for a credit line increase after six months of on-time payments.
Pros: For those just dipping their toe into the world of credit, this is a great card for learning healthy financial habits and earning rewards with responsible use. Plus, students who study abroad will love the fact that there are no foreign transaction fees.
Cons: One possible disadvantage for young cardholders is the high APR, at 26.99% variable. If you think you may not be able to pay the balance in full each month, youll keep more money in your pocket by pursuing a card with a low interest rate.
Who should apply? Someone just starting their credit-building journey who wants to learn a little extra in the rewards department would benefit from this card.
Who should skip? A student on a tight budget who might not be able to pay off their balance in full each month should be hesitant. This cards high APR could be costly for both your wallet and long-term credit score.
Read our Journey Student Rewards from Capital One review.
You May Like: Credit Cards That Report To Transunion
Capital One Savorone Credit Card Benefits
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Travelers can use this card outside of the US without incurring a fee
- Warranty Manager Service: Those approved for an eligible version of the card will receive valuable features to help manage, use and even extend warranties of items purchased with your card. New cardholders should consult their cardholder agreement for benefit guidelines
- Complimentary Concierge Services: Enjoy assistance 24 hours a day, from home and when you travel
- Card Lock: Use the Capital One mobile app to lock your card if its lost, stolen or misplaced
- Fraud Coverage: Youre covered by $0 Fraud Liability if your card is ever lost or stolen
Do You Get Free Costco Membership With Either Of Its Credit Cards
Its the other way around. The Costco credit cards have no annual fee, but youll have to pay for a Costco membership before applying for a Costco credit card.
This arrangement begs the question: Is a Costco membership worth the cost? About 90 million Costco members have already voted yes, but if you are on the fence, you may want to consider these factors:
- Youll want to live within a convenient driving distance of a Costco store.
- You may not do enough bulk buying to offset the membership fee if you live alone. You generally need to spend about $600 a year at Costco to break even.
- Youll need a vehicle big enough to transport bulk items and a large home to store them.
- You refill your gas tank frequently and are near a Costco gas station.
- Ask yourself whether you mind shopping in crowded stores.
- You need a Visa credit card or cash to shop at a Costco warehouse.
- You may not be interested in the third-party offerings, such as life insurance.
An executive membership gives you 2% cash back each year, apart from your credit card rewards. Youll also save money on certain services.
For those who want to shop at Costco but dont want to be members, you have a few options:
You may save more at your local grocery store if you are a dedicated coupon clipper, as Costco doesnt accept manufacturer coupons. Also, Amazon.com offers Subscribe & Save that will shave 15% off items, including bulk items, to be delivered automatically at set intervals.
Also Check: Td Bank Gift Card Activate
Capital One Savorone Cash Rewards Credit Card And Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
In order to maximize the value of pairing these two cards, its best to use the SavorOne for all dining, entertainment and grocery store purchases, then the Quicksilver for everything else. Try not to use the SavorOnes 1 percent category, seeing as you could use the Quicksilver and earn an extra .5 percent cash back.
If youre interested in paying off big purchases without interest, use the Quicksilver to do so. Youll get a 15-month introductory 0 percent APR on purchases .
Lets take a look at first-year spending example for the two cards:
|$200 cash bonus when you spend $500 within your first 3 months of card membership.||$200 cash bonus when you spend $500 within your first three months of account opening.|
What Is Considered A Fair Credit Score
According to Experian, a credit score that hovers between a 580 and 669 FICO score is considered fair. It’s between a poor score, which ranges from 300 to 579, and a good score, which is anything between 670 and 739. Once you hit the threshold for a good credit score on your credit report, you’ll gain access to more credit card options with better rates and terms.
You May Like: How To Check Cabela’s Gift Card Balance
What Is Capital One
Capital One, formally known as Capital One Financial Corp., is the fifth-largest consumer bank and the eighth-largest bank overall in the U.S. Founded by now Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, it reported a total net revenue of $28.5 billion in 2020. Per the Nilson Report, Capital One held a 10% market share of purchase volume among credit card issuers as of 2020.
Is A Capital One Credit Card Right For Me
Capital One has a variety of credit cards with attractive rewards and benefits, valuable introductory APR offers, and no or low annual fees. Every type of customer should be able to find a card that fits their needs. With a portfolio of over 20 credit cards, Capital One has many cards to choose from as your needs change, so you don’t have to switch banks.
Don’t Miss: Pay Processing Fee First Premier Bank
Capital One Costco Mastercard
The Capital One Costco Mastercard is free of charge and available exclusively to Costco members. Note that it can also serve as your membership card, which is always helpful for those who tend to misplace their membership cards.
With this card, you accumulate cash back rewards wherever Mastercard is accepted. You can apply for it at a Costco store or by following the link displayed on our .
Bmo Cashback World Elite Mastercard
If youre looking for a that can earn a lot of cash back at Costco, the BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard is a great option. The annual fee is $120, but its waived in the first year, and each additional card costs $50 per year. In order to be eligible, the cardholder must have an annual income of $80,000 .
You May Like: Visa Best Buy Card
Other Credit Cards I Spend Money On
The above are the eight cards that Ive been putting the most spending on, though there are some other cards that I put spending on for specific reasons:
- I use the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at Hilton properties, as it offers 14x points
- I use the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express at supermarkets and gas stations, though frankly I dont spend much at either of those
All of these are cards that I find useful as well, though I dont put $15,000+ of spending per year on any of those cards.
The Differences: Mbna Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard
Unlike the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard, the Capital One Mastercard has no limit on how much you can spend per year for each category. The rewards are quite similar. In fact, the Costco card is not as flexible as the MBNA card for redeeming points since the cash back can only be used in its stores. You can use both cards to purchase multiple items or gift cards, but with the Costco card, you cannot purchase travel. Also note that the Capital One Mastercards benefits are much greater than those of the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard.
Recommended Reading: What Gas Stations Can I Use My Discount Tire Credit Card At
What Are Some Common Benefits Of Having A Capital One Card
Capital One offers several benefits that can be found across most of their credit cards. These benefits include:
- $0 fraud coverage: If your card is lost or stolen, you will not be responsible for unauthorized charges
- Monitor your credit for free without any impact on your credit score
- Account alerts from Eno: Receive an automated alert if Capital One detects a potential mistake or unexpected charge
- Access to the Capital One mobile app: Manage your account from anywhere, anytime
- No foreign transaction fee: You wont pay a transaction fee when making purchases outside of the United States
- Travel accident insurance: Automatic insurance for a covered loss at no extra charge when you use your card to purchase your fare
- Extended warranty: Additional protection at no cost on eligible items purchased with your card
- 24-hour travel assistance services: If your card is lost or stolen, you can get an emergency replacement card and a cash advance
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Annual fee: $395
Sign-up bonus: Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 on purchases within the first six months of account opening. Also, get up to a $200 statement credit for vacation rental purchases charged to your card within the first year.
Rewards: 10 miles per dollar on car rentals and hotels booked through Capital One Travel, 5 miles per dollar on flights booked through Capital One Travel and 2 miles per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
Benefits: The Capital One Venture X Rewards Card is the issuers first premium rewards credit card. As such, there are excellent travel benefits such as up to a $300 annual travel statement credit for bookings made through Capital One Travel and a 10,000-mile boost on your account anniversary. Cardholders can get access to Capital Ones network of lounges and Priority Pass lounges for you and up to two guests. You can add up to four authorized users for free on the card and share these lounge benefits with them, which helps families and friends access lounges for a fraction of the cost.
Also Check: Can I Use My Fingerhut Card Anywhere