Who Is This Credit Card Best For
- Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cardsDeal Seeker
- Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cardsFamily Shopper
- Loves being the first to try something new See more cardsTrendsetter
- Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cardsBrand Loyalist
Since the Walmart Rewards Card is a store credit card thats only good for Walmart purchases or gas purchases made at Walmart or Murphy USA gas stations, this card is best for frequent Walmart shoppers. If you want a Walmart credit card you can use anywhere, check out the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard instead.
Good rewards-earning rate on Walmart purchases
Flexible redemption options
Smartphone required for sign-up bonus
The Bottom Line On Walmart And Credit Cards
If you’re a regular Walmart shopper, then applying for a Walmart credit card can be a smart way to earn valuable cashback rewards. Both of the cards offer high rewards rates, and neither option charges an annual fee. Which Walmart credit card is best for you depends on your credit score and spending habits.
Unlimited Cash Back
High Apr Can Become Expensive
Both Walmart cards carry higher than normal APRs the Walmart Credit Cards APR is among the highest youll find with any credit card.
If you happen to be a shopper who pays your balance in full each month rather than carrying balances month to month, the APR probably wont be a concern.
However, if you consistently carry a balance, its best that you choose a card with the lowest APR possible because the interest charges are going to add up quickly.
On the other hand, cards like the start with a lower APR and include an introductory APR of 0% for purchases and balance transfers for 21 months.
Read Also: Does Discount Tire Accept Paypal
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card* Vs Citi Double Cash Card
If the idea of having to remain loyal to just one store makes your head hurt, consider a workhorse like the Citi Double Cash, which earns a net 2% cash back1% cash back when you make a purchase and an additional 1% when you pay off the balance. There is no cap on the amount of rewards you can earn and it carries no annual fee.
While it doesnt earn an extra 5% back on purchases at Walmart or elsewhere, earning a steady 2% on everything could match or exceed the extra rewards on Walmart purchases. If you want cash back and only one card in your wallet, a card earning 2% cash back is likely the best you can do. Another idea? Pair the two cards together and use the Walmart Rewards card exclusively at that store and use the 2% cash back card for all other spending.
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card Review
Advertiser Disclosure: ValuePenguin is an advertising-supported comparison service which receives compensation from some of the financial providers whose offers appear on our site. This compensation from our advertising partners may impact how and where products appear on our site . To provide more complete comparisons, the site features products from our partners as well as institutions which are not advertising partners. While we make an effort to include the best deals available to the general public, we make no warranty that such information represents all available products.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
The Capital One® Walmart Rewards® Card has outstanding earnings for online Walmart purchases but does not for most other purchases.
Citi is an advertising partner
The Capital One® Walmart Rewards® Card is a Mastercard that offers outstanding earning potential when shopping with Walmart. You can get up to 5% cash back when shopping online at Walmart, including on pickup and delivery.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Home Trust Secured Visa *
The Home Trust Secured Visa stands out because its a secured credit card with no annual fee . To open an account, you need to make a $500 deposit. And while the interest rate is standard at 19.99%, this wont kick in unless you carry a balanceand if youre looking to build your credit, you should aim for that not to happen. As with other secured credit cards, you can improve your credit score by making payments on time, and preferably in full. Note: If you dont use your card at least once a year, theres a $12 inactivity fee, so make to charge at least one purchase to the card annually.
- Annual Fee: $0
What Credit Score Is Needed For A Walmart Credit Card
To qualify for a Walmart credit card, you must have a of at least 550. You will only qualify for a Walmart Mastercard with a . The credit limit you qualify for with each card can vary and depends mainly on your credit score and income.
Without a satisfactory financial history and income, your . If you have a high credit score and can prove steady and high earnings, you may qualify for a .
Don’t Miss: Who Is Walmart Credit Card Through
Your Web Browser Is Not Accepting Cookies
Please enable cookies in your browser or switch to a newer web browser. You may also browse the Walmart Canada flyer without cookies.
Can You Get A Walmart Credit Card With Bad Credit
You’re unlikely to get a Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard with bad credit, as most consumers report needing a score of at least 700 to qualify. You probably need at least 640 to get the Walmart store card, so a bad score will probably hold you back there, too.
However, it might be possible to qualify for the Walmart store card with bad credit as long as you have a reliable income. You can improve your chances of qualifying by working to improve your overall .
Also Check: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Applying For The Capone Walmart Rewards And Walmart Rewards Cards
Potential cardholders technically apply for the CapOne Walmart Rewards card and the standard Walmart Rewards card at the same time to see which one they will qualify for.
As mentioned above, the CapOne Walmart Rewards card has slightly higher qualification criteria. For this reason, those who do not qualify for the Capital One card may still qualify for the Walmart Rewards card instead.
That being said, the general consensus is that the Walmart cards are usually intended for individuals with poor or limited credit histories. In short, Walmart likely anticipates recent or past flaws in your credit.
You can apply for the CapOne Walmart Rewards card and Walmart Rewards card online, at any store register, or at the jewelry kiosk.
Upon credit review, some applicants will be approved instantly. However, some applications may need further review, resulting in a 7-10 day waiting period.
Hot Tip: Looking for an easy instant approval credit card that offers immediate access to your new card number? .
Review: Target Credit Card
- Save 5% on most Target purchases. The Target Store Credit Card, also known as the REDcard, gives cardholders an indefinite 5% off sale on pretty much everything except pharmacy purchases, gift cards, wireless protection plans and a few other items. Thats a great deal, with the potential to save you hundreds of dollars per year, if Target is one of your favorite stores.
- Dont worry about yearly fees. The Target REDcard doesnt charge an annual fee, which always makes it easier to justify opening a credit card just for purchases at a single store. This also saves you $21 compared to the average credit card, according to WalletHubs latest .
- Enjoy 30 extra days for returns. Simply having a Target Credit Card gives you 30 extra days to return purchases for a refund, on top of each items standard return window. That extra time could be a life-saver for someone with a busy schedule.
- Get free shipping from Target.com. The Target REDcard makes it easier to shop online, thanks to the free standard shipping it gives you on all Target.com orders. So as long as you dont need something at the last minute, you wont have to pay extra for doing your shopping from home with a Target Card.
- Qualify with even fair credit. You only need fair credit to qualify for the Target RED Credit Card, which means its possible to get approved with a credit score of just 620. You can see if youre in the ballpark by checking your credit score for free on WalletHub.
Also Check: How To Get Netflix Free Trial Without Credit Card
Capital One Low Rate Gold Mastercard
The Capital One Low Rate Gold Mastercard is a solid choice for people with a low credit score. For a fee of $79 per year, cardholders get an eyebrow-raising competitive interest rate of 14.9%, and access to perks including price protection, travel benefits and insurance.
If you dont qualify for the unsecured Capital One Low Rate Gold, Capital One will still approve you for its alternative secured product, the Capital One Guaranteed Secured Mastercard. This makes for a good fail-safe, and helps people access a credit card with a security deposit as low as $75 and a $59 annual fee.
- Annual Fee: $79
- Interest rate: 14.9% on purchases and balance transfer 19.8% on cash advances
- Personal income required: $0
- Other perks: Price protection common carrier travel accident insurance baggage and rental vehicle insurance
How To Make A Walmart Credit Card Payment
With approximately 10,800 stores in 25 countries, Walmart is a leader in the retail business. By offering a broad range of items at everyday low prices, such as electronics, apparel, furniture, household goods and more, Walmart has become a one-stop-shop for millions of customers. And with a Capital One Walmart Rewards card or a Walmart Rewards card, both issued by Capital One, consumers can get even greater savings and rewards.
When you open a Walmart Rewards or Capital One Walmart Rewards card, youll earn 5% in rewards for 12 months on your in-store purchases when you use your credit card and pay with Walmart Pay. Other rewards, which are exclusive to the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card, include 5% cash back on Walmart.com purchases and 2% cashback on travel and purchases at gas stations and restaurants.
Once you use your card for purchases, youll want to be sure to pay your bill on time each month to avoid late fees and keep your account in good standing. Here are your options.
Read Also: Best Buy Credit Card Special Financing
Tips To Get Walmart Credit Card Instant Approval
Instant approval for a Walmart credit card is possible if the application had been made in-store or online. Its important to remember that instant approval is not guaranteed
The shopper should meet the basic requirements that have been specified. Shoppers applying for the card online or in-store should be at least 18 years of age
Your credit score should be checked before making the application. A score of at least 660 improves the chances of approval
Its advisable to review the credit reports before applying for one of these cards. If there are any disputes, the shopper should dispute them. This will improve your credit score.
Your credit reports should be kept open. If theres a freeze on your credit report, it should be temporarily lifted. This will help complete the application process.
If you shop often at Walmart, the credit cards will enable you to earn rewards on each purchase. This will help save a lot of money. The interest rates are also competitive. The credit limit assigned to the card will vary and depend on the requirements.
Applying for a Walmart credit card is quite easy. It takes only a few minutes to complete the process online. Applying for the card in-store is also an easy process.
Walmart Rewards Card And Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard
- Both cards have no annual fee and cardholders will earn unlimited:
- 5% back on purchases at Walmart.com, inclusive of Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery
- 5% back on in-store purchases when using Walmart Pay for the first 12 months after approval as a special introductory offer
- 2% back on Walmart purchases in stores outside of the introductory offer
- 2% back on restaurants and travel, and 1% percent back everywhere else with the Capital One Walmart RewardsMastercard
- The ability to redeem rewards at any time for travel, gift cards, during online checkout at Walmart.com, for recent purchases and statement credits
- Online account management available through Capital One
Offers matched to your credit profile
#1: You get 5 percent off Walmart.com purchases.
The main selling point of both the Walmart Rewards Card and Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard is that they offer 5 percent cash back on Walmart.com purchases. For the average family of four, thats an average savings of over $100 per year.
The only caveat is that in-store purchases dont qualify unless you are using Walmart Pay for the first 12 months after approval. So, if you use your card at a physical Walmart store, youll get the standard 2 percent back, as you would with a purchase at any other store.
#2: Rewards can be earned on Grocery Pickup.
#3: Theres no annual fee.
#4: Free FICO® Score reporting.
Recommended Reading: Alaska Airlines Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fee
Where You Can Use Walmart Credit Cards
Most credit cards can be used anywhere the card network is accepted, but some cards have limitations. Credit cards with restricted use are known as private-label cards or store cards and can only be used at the namesake brand’s properties.
Since the Walmart Rewards Card is a private-label card, you can only use the card at Walmart properties, which include Walmart.com, the Walmart app, Walmart stores and Murphy USA gas stations.
On the other hand, the Capital One Walmart Rewards® Card can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
If you’re looking for a credit card that can be used anywhere, the Capital One Walmart Rewards® Card provides more flexibility than the Walmart Rewards Card.
How To Make Payments
You can pay your Walmart credit card in a few ways:
- Online: Sign into your online account to pay your card. Online payments will be posted within 2-3 business days.
Walmart Credit Card Customer Service Numbers
- Walmart Credit Card: 1-877-294-7880
- Walmart Mastercard: 1-866-611-1148
Also Check: How Can I Pay My Macy’s Credit Card Bill
Walmart Credit Card Features
While they cant be used at the same retailers, the Walmart credit card and the Walmart Mastercard share the same features, which include:
- Online Walmart purchases: 3% cash back toward the card balance for purchases made on Walmart.com or through the Walmart app.
- Murphy USA and Walmart gas purchases: 2% cash back toward the card balance.
- All other spending: 1% cash back on all other spending when you use the Walmart Mastercard.
- No annual fee: Both credit cards charge no annual fees.
- Free monthly FICO score: Walmart credit card and Walmart Mastercard holders can review their credit scores for free once per month.
- Sign-up bonus: A free $25 signup bonus is included if you spend at least $25 at a Walmart store on the day you sign up for the card.
- Promotional financing offers: Walmart occasionally offers promotions that allow cardholders to finance purchases at certain price points for no interest for six months to one year, depending on the promotional terms.
Additional Features Of The Walmart Rewards Card Options
Below are additional perks offered with both Walmart cards:
- No annual fee
- Free online FICO® credit score checks anytime by signing up to electronic statements
- Other companies charge up to $20 to check your score, so this could be a handy advantage
Recommended Reading: How To Get Netflix For Free Without Credit Card
How To Apply For Walmart Credit Card
- Visit the Walmart credit card website.
- Fill in the application form. You will typically need to provide general financial information, such as your Social Security Number, address, and annual income.
- Check the information is accurate and submit your application.
If your credit score is preventing you from qualifying for this credit card, check out our guide for the best credit cards for bad credit.
SuperMoney DisclosureEditorial Disclaimer
Logging In And Managing Your Walmart Credit Card Account
After you are issued a credit card, you can log in and manage your Walmart card account here.
Options within the online management platform include:
- View your statement
Must Reads: For more info on the Chase Freedom Unlimited, see our thoughts on its benefits and our full review.
Alternatively, if you love to travel you could apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card that is known as one of the best travel rewards cards.
The welcome offer is worth over $750 when redeemed for travel expenses through Chases travel portal. Earn 1 point/$1 spent at Walmart stores and outside of Walmart, 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x points on dining, and 2x points on all other travel purchases
These Chase points are extremely valuable when used correctly!
Recommended Reading: Does Cabelas Take American Express