Other Cards To Consider
While the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card has a lot going for it, there are other cashback cards and travel rewards cards to consider if the Savor card doesn’t seem like the perfect fit for you.
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards card is from the same credit card issuer. It allows you to earn;8% cash back with Vivid Seats; 3% unlimited cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services, and at grocery stores , plus 1% cash back on all other purchases, with a;$0 annual fee. This might make the SavorOne more ideal for households with lower spending. You can compare the;Capital One Savor vs. SavorOne cards directly to determine which card better fits your needs.
If you not only enjoy events and dining out but also like to travel, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card might be a better option for you. With the Sapphire Preferred you earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points that can be redeemed for either cash or travel. They are worth 25% more when redeemed through the Chase travel portal. That extra value can make up for the fact that the Sapphire Preferred has a lower rewards rate. It earns;5X points on Lyft rides and travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards; 3X points on eligible dining, select streaming services, and online grocery purchases; 2X points on travel; and 1X points per $1 on all other eligible purchases.
Top Cash Back
- 0% intro APR on purchases
- 3% unlimited cash back on dining, entertainment, streaming, and groceries
Main Benefits And Perks
For a card with no annual fee, the SavorOne comes with some nice perks. For starters, this is a card you can bring abroad, as there are no foreign transaction fees. Essentially, this means that you should continue to earn 3% cash back on international dining, so long as the merchant codes as dining. Theres also travel accident insurance, roadside assistance, secondary car rental insurance and extended warranty protection.
If you need help making a restaurant reservation, buying concert tickets or planning travel, you can call the cards concierge service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Its certainly not the norm for a no-annual-fee card to have a concierge service, so this is a nice little perk if youre able to take advantage of it.
Related: The best cards for entertainment;
The SavorOne also features some useful security features, including virtual card numbers, which allows you to generate one-time-use card numbers for online purchases, so you dont need to provide your actual card number. It also gives you the ability to lock your card in the Capital One mobile app rather than canceling it right away if its temporarily misplaced or lost.
What Kind Of Credit Score Do You Need For The Capital One Savorone Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card requires “Excellent/Good” credit. According to information they share on their website, excellent credit can be achieved by those who have never declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan, as well as those who have never been more than 60 days late on any credit card, medical bill or loan in the last year. Meanwhile, they also say excellent credit entails having had a loan or credit card for three years or more with a credit limit of $5,000 or more.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Get Cash From My Credit Card
Why You Might Want A Different Card
Bigger spenders can earn more elsewhere
As mentioned, if you’re spending upward of $9,500 a year on dining, streaming and entertainment,;consider;the;original;Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card. That card is an especially better deal in the first year, when the bigger sign-up bonus is in play.
If dining out is your biggest line item, you can do better
If you don’t cook much at home, consider instead the;U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card. It, too, has a $0* annual fee, but it earns a whopping;4X back on dining purchases. Note, however, that this card is not as rewarding on groceries or streaming, and there’s no bonus category for “entertainment” spending at all.
Or if drive-thru meals are a major expense for you, look into the no-fee;U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature® Card. It earns;5% cash back in two categories of your choice, on up to $2,000 spent per quarter on combined purchases. As of May 2021, those possible 5% categories included fast food, not to mention TV, internet and streaming services. The card also offers an uncapped 2% back in an everyday category of your choice, including restaurants. All other purchases earn 1% back.
If groceries are your biggest line item, you can do much better for a fee
For a;$0, the;Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card offers very good rewards at grocery stores. Even still, it’s possible to double that rate.
Costco shoppers can do better
Insider Advice: Getting The Most Out Of Your Card
- Use it for everything food: Want one credit card to use for all of your food expenses? The SavorOne card is a good option because it has cash back categories for both grocery stores and restaurants.
- Qualify for the intro bonus: Be sure to get the welcome bonus by spending enough in the first few months.
- Utilize the intro APR period: Use the 0% intro APR to pay off large purchases at no interest for 15 months. Just be sure to pay them off before the period ends, and to always make your minimum payments. After the 0% introductory period the regular 15.49% – 25.49% Variable APR will apply.
- Use the benefits: Take advantage of the card benefits when traveling. They include car rental coverage, dining reservation perks, and a personal concierge who can help with booking.
- Redeem for statement credits: The easiest way to redeem your cash back will be through statement credits, which directly reduce the balance of your account.
- Set up your automatic redemption preferences: You can have your cash back automatically redeemed as a statement credit whenever it reaches a certain amount, or at certain times throughout the year.
- Use it abroad: There are no foreign transaction fees on this card, so you can use it outside the country at no extra cost.
Also Check: Can I Take Money Off My Capital One Credit Card
Capital One Savor Vs Savoroneis The Annual Fee Worth It
It really depends on how much you spend on dining, entertainment and streaming services, but unless you spend a ton in these categories, youll probably be better off with the SavorOne.
Heres a quick example to keep things simple: If you only spent $200 per month on the Capital One Savor in these three categories each year, your cash back earnings would barely cover the Capital One Savor cards annual fee, leaving you up just $1 overall. That same spend with the SavorOne would earn you $72 in cash back with no annual fee to worry about.
Personally, Ive stuck with the SavorOne over the Savor since it offers one of the best rewards rates out there on dining and I dont have to stress about covering the cost. I can just use it when I eat out and let my cash back balance grow over time.
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Amazon Prime members can really feel the pleasure of premium membership when using this metal card. The ranked as Select’s best credit card for online grocery shopping for its high 5% back on purchases at Whole Foods Market or Amazon.com and there’s no limit to how many points you can earn. While there is no annual fee, a Prime membership is required .
Cardholders also earn 2% back on purchases at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% back on all other purchases. Upon approval for the card, you receive a $150 Amazon.com gift card, making it one of the few welcome bonuses that isn’t connected with a certain spending requirement.
Recommended Reading: How To Transfer Balance From One Credit Card To Another
Best For Travelers: Capital One Ventureone Rewards Credit Card
Earn 20,000 miles once you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
|Earn 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase.|
|INTRO PURCHASE APR|
- Why We Chose This Card
- Pros and Cons
The VentureOne card offers a simple travel rewards program that doesnt require a lot of extra legwork or cost. Youll earn 1.25 miles for every $1 you spend, so there are no bonus categories to keep tabs on. The rewards program this card is connected to offers travelers a bit of flexibility, too. You can transfer your miles to 14 airline and hotel partners, or redeem them for 1 cent apiece to get a statement credit for prior travel expenses or to book trips through Capital One. And like many good rewards cards, this one doesnt charge an annual fee.
Simple and predictable rewards
Rare option to transfer miles to eligible airline and hotel partner programs
Flexible redemption options
Travel insurance not common with a no-annual-fee card
Limited number of travel partners, especially U.S. airlines
- 1.25X miles on all purchases. Earn unlimited miles with no caps.
- Earn 20,000 miles once you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Use miles as a statement credit against any airline or hotel booking with no blackout dates. Or, transfer miles to eligible travel loyalty programs.
- Enjoy an introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months.
Earn A $200 Cash Bonus
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card includes a juicy sign-up bonus for new cardholders: Earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
What it’s worth: $200
Who’s eligible to earn this offer: According to the fine print on the Capital One website, “existing or previous accountholders may not be eligible for this one-time bonus.”
You May Like: What Is The Best Credit Card With Low Interest
How We Make Money
We are an independent publisher. Our advertisers do not direct our editorial content. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in editorial content are those of the authors alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the advertiser.
To support our work, we are paid in different ways for providing advertising services. For example, some advertisers pay us to display ads, others pay us when you click on certain links, and others pay us when you submit your information to request a quote or other offer details. CNETs compensation is never tied to whether you purchase an insurance product. We dont charge you for our services. The compensation we receive and other factors, such as your location, may impact what ads and links appear on our site, and how, where, and in what order ads and links appear.
Our insurance content may include references to or advertisements by our corporate affiliate HomeInsurance.com LLC, a licensed insurance producer . And HomeInsurance.com LLC may receive compensation from third parties if you choose to visit and transact on their website. However, all CNET editorial content is independently researched and developed without regard to our corporate relationship to HomeInsurance.com LLC or its advertiser relationships.
Capital One Savor Benefits And Perks
- Generous early spend bonus: Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months after account opening.
- Easy-to-understand rewards program: You dont need to worry about keeping track of rotating cashback categories or limits on how much you can earn. You simply earn unlimited 8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats , 4% unlimited cash back on dining and entertainment, 3% at grocery stores , and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Bonus cash back on event tickets: Your Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card will earn you 8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats .
- Access to special events: Cardholders will enjoy special access to purchase tickets to sporting events, music events, and culinary experiences.
- A variety of protections: Cardholders will also benefit from travel accident insurance and extended warranty protection on purchases make with this card.
- No foreign transaction fees: When you use your card outside of the U.S., you dont pay a foreign transaction fee. Other can sometimes charge as much as 3%, so this is a big savings if you tend to go on trips abroad and want to charge purchases to your card.
- Easy rewards redemption: Rewards never expire, and you simply get your rewards in the form of a statement credit or check. This means you dont have to worry about figuring out which rewards redemption options give you the best bang for your buck.
Capital One Savorone Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Whether you’re at a 4-year university, community college or other higher education institution, this card might be an option for you
- Earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores , with 1% on all other purchases. Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023
- Enjoy no annual fee, foreign transaction fees, or hidden fees
- You can help build your credit with responsible use of a card like this
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won’t expire for the life of the account and there’s no limit to how much you can earn
- Be automatically considered for a higher credit line in as little as 6 months
- $0 fraud liability if your card is ever lost or stolen
- Set up Autopay for your account and your payments will be made automatically every month
Youre Our First Priorityevery Time
We believe everyone should be able to make financial decisions with confidence. And while our site doesnt feature every company or financial product available on the market, were proud that the guidance we offer, the information we provide and the tools we create are objective, independent, straightforward and free.
So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us. This may influence which products we review and write about , but it in no way affects our recommendations or advice, which are grounded in thousands of hours of research. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services.Here is a list of our partners.
Don’t Miss: Can You Buy Gift Cards With Prepaid Visa
Best Premium Travel Rewards Credit Card
The best premium travel rewards credit cards offer exceptional rewards without a huge price tag. And luckily, both Chase and Capital One offer exceptional products in this arena.
So, lets compare the top 2 contenders!
|UP’s Bonus Valuation*:$2,000Must Reads: For more info on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, see our thoughts on its benefits and travel insurance coverage, which includes primary car rental insurance. Take a look at our full review to see why it’s one of our favorite cards.|
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is one of the most popular travel credit cards in the U.S. It also happens to be the best beginner rewards credit card available.
Even so, the most seasoned points enthusiasts love keeping this card in their arsenal.
One of the things that make this credit card exceptional is the fact that its welcome bonus is consistently awesome with a bit of monthly spending after opening the card, youll see a massive pop in your point balance.
But if you look past the introductory offer, youll find a very attractive earning rate of 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x points on dining and 2x points on all other travel purchases. You can also earn up to 5x Ultimate Rewards points per $1 on Lyft purchases, which is incredible.
The annual fee is $95.
That means all of your spending on the CapOne Venture card will consistently return around 2.7%.
Is Capital One Savorone Cash Rewards Credit Card A Good Credit Card
While only you can decide which rewards credit card is best for your spending and goals, the Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card is generally considered a good credit card. This is due its generous rewards rate, $0 annual fee and important cardholder benefits like no foreign transaction fees.
Read Also: How To Apply For Credit Card For Business
Capital One Savorone Cash Rewards Credit Card Vs Chase Freedom Flex
If youre looking for an all-purpose card that earns elevated rewards across a broad swath of categories, the Chase Freedom Flex could be the needle in the haystack youve been searching for. For an annual fee of $0, youll earn 5% cash back on travel booked through Chase, 5% back on up to $1,500 on combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate, 3% back on drugstores and dining and 1% back on all other eligible purchases.
Rewards come as Chase Ultimate Rewards, a highly flexible currency that can be redeemed for cash back, travel, gift cards, merchandise or combined with rewards earned from a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve® card and transferred to one of Chases travel transfer partners.
Should You Get A Capital One Savor Or Savorone Card
If youre looking to earn cash back from your credit card, either the Capital One Savor or the Capital One SavorOne card can be a solid choice, as long as you normally spend a significant portion of your household budget on purchases in the bonus categories. You might also consider pairing either card with a strong flat-rate cash back card, such as the no-annual-fee Citi® Double Cash Card, which earns 2% cash back on all purchases 1% when you make a purchase, and another 1% when you pay it off.
With streaming services growing as an expense for many people over the last few years, its great to see Capital One permanently offering bonus cash back on it. So if you already have a Capital One Savor or Capital One SavorOne credit card, make sure to use it to pay for your streaming services, and if you dont, take a look to see if it makes sense to add one of the two cards to your purse or wallet.
Recommended Reading: What Is No Fee Credit Card