How To Get A Visa Gift Card
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 99,644 times.Learn more…
If you’re not a fan of credit cards, can’t get credit cards because of poor credit, or just want to give a versatile, useful present, Visa gift cards may be the ideal solution. Most Visa gift cards work exactly like a prepaid Visa debit or credit card, except that Visa gift cards don’t affect your credit score and cannot be reloaded with more money later on.
Do You Have To Activate A Visa Vanilla Gift Card
Vanilla gift cards dont expire and arent credit cards, so no credit check is required. The gift cards dont need to be activated once theyre purchased. You also might see signs advertising Vanilla Reload, which allows you to add funds to your MyVanilla card at various retailers.
Enjoy These Prepaid Card Benefits
- The perfect companion to cash and your CIBC debit and credit cards.
- Available to buy at banking centres, and through CIBC Online Banking® and the CIBC Mobile Banking App®.
- You can buy up to 5 prepaid cards, one for each currency.
- Buying and using a prepaid card wont affect your credit rating.
- Load funds from your CIBC bank account or CIBC Personal Line of Credit, or with your credit or debit card at the Toronto Pearson Airport Banking Centre.
- Save time when shopping online: use online banking to set up a Visa Checkout account with this card.
- Free cash withdrawals at CIBC ATMs within Canada.
- The ATM cash withdrawal fee is waived for one withdrawal outside of Canada per month.
- Funds don’t expire3.
- Free 24/7 online access to your account balance and transactions.
Recommended Reading: How To Pay Best Buy Credit Card On App
Why Cant I Activate My Visa Gift Card
Visa gift cards are linked to bank accounts that generally must be activated in order to receive transactions. Inactive cards will be declined if used for payment because the associated bank accounts are not ready to be used. When the gift card is loaded with value , the gift card is automatically activated.
How Do I Know If My Gift Card Is Activated
Locate the activation sticker on the front of the card.
You May Like: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Calling The Number On Your Card
Making A Purchase With Your Visa Gift Card
- What if I change my mind and want to cancel a purchase?
If a merchant cancels a purchase transaction for you, it may take three to seven business days for the cancellation to show up on your Visa Gift card record and for the funds to be credited to your card and available for use. Check the balance on your card, either online or by phone, to see when your cancelled purchase transaction has been processed. Refer to the back of your card for the web site address/phone number of the financial institution that issued your card.
- Why was my Visa Gift card declined?
- Your card may have expired. Check the expiry date printed on the front of your card. In this case, let the merchant know how much remaining balance you have on your card. The merchant may split the transaction and allow you to pay for part of your purchase with the Gift card, and then the remaining part of your purchase with another form of payment, such as a credit, debit or cash.
- Your remaining card balance may be less than the value of the item you wish to purchase.
- Merchants who only possess a manual imprint machine cannot accept Gift cards which have the phrase “ELECTRONIC USE ONLY” printed on the front of the card.
- Some internet merchants use fraud protection software that may decline a Gift card purchase transaction.
- Your card may not be activated or registered yet. Follow the activation and registration instructions that came with the card, or contact the card issuer
You May Like: Cabela’s Club Visa Interest Rate
Protection For Unauthorized Purchases
Use your Visa card to make purchases anywhere and you’re protected from unauthorized use of your card or account information. With the Visa Zero Liability policy1, your liability for unauthorized transactions2 is $0-you pay nothing.
1 Visa’s Zero Liability Policy covers Canada-issued cards and does not apply to anonymous Visa Prepaid*, Visa Purchasing, Visa Corporate, Visa Commercial, or any transactions not processed by Visa. Visa Cardholders must notify their financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please refer to your issuer cardholder documentation.
*A Visa Prepaid Card will be considered anonymous if the cardholder’s identity has not been validated by the issuing financial institution .
2 Financial institutions may exclude from the Zero Liability policy a transaction made by a person authorized to transact business on the account and/or a transaction made by a cardholder that exceeds the authority given by the account owner.
Now Youre Ready To Shop
When viewing products on Amazon, you will see a note stating that your gift card balance can cover all or a portion of the cost of the item.
Now, you may make a purchase when you find.
When you make a purchase, funds from your gift card account will be used first, followed by your default payment method.
Now you can use your gift card balance to shop!
It may seem like quite a few steps, but its really quick and easy to add your Visa gift card to your Amazon account.
Also Check: How Can I Pay My Macy’s Credit Card Bill
View Gift Card Activity
Once you have successfully been able to add your Visa gift card to your Amazon account, you can view details of the transaction in Gift Card Activity, which is on the same page where you clicked âReload Your Balanceâ.
When you see this, you know that you were able to add your Visa gift card to your Amazon account successfully.
Did You Lose Your Visa Gift Card
If you happen to lose a Visa gift card, you should report it immediately to the card issuer. Youll need to provide the lost or stolen Visa Gift card number for cancellation and replacement.
So it may be a smart idea to write the number down somewhere in case you do lose it or have it stolen.
Want to earn free Visa Gift cards? Check out my article on the best 33 gift card apps!
You May Like: My Best Buy Visa Platinum
How Many Digits Is A Vanilla Gift Card
Vanilla Visa gift cards do have a PIN that youll need to use to make online purchases. These PIN numbers are not located on the cards themselves. Instead, youll need to call the number presented on the back of your gift card and enter your gift card number a sixteen-digit number to set up your PIN.
How To Create Gift Cards For Your Small Business
May 07, 2018 · 4 min read
Toolkit for download in this article
Personalize automated emails
If you want to give a gift that is going to make the recipient happy, dont give them what you think theyll like. Give them a gift card. Theres data back this up. The National Retail Federation, reports that 62 percent of consumers prefer to receive a gift card over pretty much anything.
Why does this matter to you as a small business owner? Because another fact unearthed by the National Retail Federation is that a majority of all gift card recipients will overspend the value of the card. You can almost hear the cha-ching, cant you? Business gift cards can translate to more revenue at redemption.
Personalize automated emails
The time, cost, and redemption barriers that once made the gift card more of a hassle than it was worth are over. The new reality is that creating a gift card system for your small business is easy and inexpensive.
Here are a few tips on how to make a gift card for your business.
Gift cards dont sell themselves, youve got to promote themYou cant purchase a gift card if you dont know they are on offer. If a customer has done business with you multiple times in the past or is using your services regularly, its a safe bet that they like what you have to offer and would be willing to share gift cards with their friends. For loyal customers, you may consider offering a discount on your gift cards.
Tracie Rollins contributed to this article.
You May Like: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Use Your Visa Gift Card Online
You use it in the exact same way you would use a credit card. That means you put in all your personal information. Then, put the Visa gift card number in the credit card number field along with the CVC.
Do not make the mistake of putting the gift card number in the gift card field. Most of the time, that field is reserved for store-specific gift cards. For example, if youre shopping online at BestBuy, the image below shows you where to put the BestBuy gift card number and where the Visa gift card details would go.
How Do I Activate My Gift Card
You need to sign the back of your card before using it. Write down the card number, expiration date and three-digit security code and keep this information in a safe place. The card comes with a pre-determined PIN so you can make purchases at point-of-sale terminals. If you want to change the PIN, please call 866-591-4438.
Also Check: Interest Rate For Best Buy Credit Card
Why Do I Need To Register The Gift Card
You are not required to register a gift card, but I suggest that you do for two reasons. The first is that youll want to update the name and address on the gift card so the card can be used online. Since most website validate that the card used to pay for merchandise matches the name and shipping address of the order , youll want to make sure your card is correct. Secondly, registering the gift card will help you if the card is ever lost or stolen. If you happen to lose the card, you can just log into your account to check the balance of the card, see where it has been used, and order a replacement if possible. If you lose the card but dont know what the card number, expiration date, and CVN are, you could be out of luck.
Ok, thats it. What other questions do you have about gift card activation? Let me know in the comments below and Ill be sure to answer your question as soon as I get a chance.
Happy Gift Carding!
Where Can The Gift Card Be Used
Gift Cards can be used for purchases at most places where Visa Debit is accepted. To use your Card for payment of an online or phone purchase, the Card must be registered . After logging into the Gift Card Website, select Edit Profile to register your Card and add your Mailing/Billing Address. Once a purchase is made with the Gift Card, it is not possible to stop.
Gift Cards may NOT be used at automated fuel dispensers*, ATMs, and certain merchant locations such as hotels, gambling establishments, rental agencies, and some online retailers. Gift Cards may not be used for automatic recurring transactions such as internet service providers and health club fees, or internet gambling, or any illegal activity. Gift cards may not be accepted for bill payment transactions. We recommend checking with the merchant to see if they accept Gift Cards for payment.
*Gift Cards may not be used at an automated fuel dispenser but may still be used at a gas station if paying inside with a cashier processing the transaction.
Read Also: How To Pay Best Buy Credit Card On App
Can I Use My Gift Card In A Foreign Country
Possibly, but please note these limitations. Gift cards do not have the EMV chip some foreign merchants may not accept the Gift Card as payment if they require the EMV Chip or for the name to be embossed on the Card. At times prepaid cards may be restricted from use in certain countries due to national security watch lists. Also, some locations may be unable to process debit card transactions and are only able to accept cash payments. Gift Cards cannot be used at ATMS or for cash advances. Purchases made with the Card in foreign currencies will be charged in U.S. dollars. The conversion to U.S. dollars will be made in accordance with Visa operating regulations. No currency conversion fee is assessed.
Visa Gift Card Troubleshooting Guide:
Having issues with your Visa gift card? Ask yourself the following questions to troubleshoot your issue.
- Did you make a typo? If you get an error when trying to make an online purchase with a Visa gift card, the first thing you should always do is check if the name, address, card number, and security card are all correct. Its very easy for a finger to slip and cause a typo.
- Is the merchant based outside the U.S.? If youre still having issues, check if the store youre trying to buy from is located outside the United State. Because of the recent legislature, most gift cards sold within the U.S. are restricted from being used at merchants outside of the U.S. If your card is a U.S.-only card it will say Valid only in the United States on the front.
- Are you trying to use your Visa gift card at PayPal? You will run into issuer blocking if you try to redeem your Visa gift card at a business where that allows you to convert a payment into cash. You cant convert your Visa gift card for cash because of money-laundering concerns. Since PayPal falls into this type of business, this is why you cant use your Visa gift card there.
- Are you trying to sign up for a monthly service? If you try using your Visa gift card to sign up for recurring services, its possible that the merchant may block prepaid cards from being used. They do this because they know there is only a limited amount of funds on the gift card and that the payment will fail eventually.
Read Also: Macys Com Mymacyscard Login
Creating Digital Gift Cards With Square
While theres a variety of different POS systems available, many businesses use Square to process physical and digital purchases.
Square also offers digital gift cards that you can sell to your customers through your website. Youll need the gift card URL from Square to start selling gift cards.
Visit Square Gift Cards to learn more about their digital gift cards program.
Once you have your gift card URL, make sure that your website is set up to sell gift cards.
Websites + Marketings new digital gift cards feature makes it easy to sell gift cards from your site.
How Does My Navy Federal Visa Gift Card Work
You can use your card to pay for purchases at millions of places that accept Visa cards in the United States . The cards initial value is set by the person who purchased it. Additional funds cannot be added later.
How to use your card:
Don’t Miss: Is Target Credit Card Good