Win The Green Card Lottery
The Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery is held every year from October to November. It is sometimes called the green card lotterythere is no guarantee you will get a green card through this process. Note that certain countries that have sent over 50,000 immigrants to the US in the last 5 years are ineligible, including Canada, South Korea, Mexico, and Canada.
Advantages Of Applying For Citizenship Through Military Service
There are three main advantages for foreign-born service members who apply for U.S. citizenship:
- Shorter residency requirements. Typically, applicants must reside within the United States as a lawful permanent resident for five continuous years, or three years if theyre married to a U.S. citizen, before they can apply to become a U.S. citizen. At most, eligible foreign-born service members only need one year of honorable service before they can file their Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
- No state-of-residence requirement. Civilian applicants must live in the state or service district where they file their Form N-400 for a minimum of three months. Eligible foreign-born service members do not need to meet this requirement.
- Waived application fees. Between the naturalization application and fingerprinting fees, civilian applicants pay almost $800 to become a U.S. citizen. Foreign-born service members are not required to pay the application fee, but spouses must do so.
Key Features Of The F
Here are some of the pluses, minuses, and other crucial things to know about the F-1 student visa:
- After you’ve been accepted by a U.S. school, the application process is reasonably fast and simple.
- You are expected to come to the United States as a full-time, in-person academic or language student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate. ., though modifications were made during the COVID-19 pandemic to allow more online study, particularly be returning students).
- If you’re planning to attend an elementary school or adult education program, it cannot be one that’s publicly funded. You can attend a public secondary school, but only if you prepay the full cost of the program, up to a maximum of one year.
- After you’re enrolled, you will be able to transfer from one school to another or switch academic programs by notifying U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services .
- You may, without special permission, work part-time at an on-campus job. Also, you can apply for special permission to work off campus if you can show an urgent economic need or if the job provides practical training for the field in which you’re studying.
- During your time on a student visa, you’re allowed to travel in and out of the United States.
- You can apply for visas for your relatives to accompany you to the United States, but they may not take jobs here.
Recommended Reading: What Credit Score Is Needed For Uplift
Receive Sponsorship By A Relative Who Owns A Business
If you have a relative who owns a business, they can sponsor you for a green card. Your business-owning relative, however, will have to prove that they are hiring you due to your qualifications, rather than because you are related. They must have a recruitment process for the position you would fill and show that they have made a good-faith effort to hire a US candidate, but that none were available or willing to do the job.
Attend Career Fairs To Find Work
Many international students wonder âcan international students work in USA after graduation?â With the proper visa, as weâve discussed, the answer is yes: Studying in the US can give you access to many opportunities to find international student work in US after graduation.
As an international student, you may not know how to get started and who you should connect with to find a job or internship. Career fairs provide a variety of work opportunities and give you the chance to network with professionals from various backgrounds. For an international student, this experience offers insights on how to bridge cultural gaps and fit into the organizational culture of places where you would like to work.
Career fair seminars and lectures showcase new skills, or give you the chance to hone ones you already have. You can brush up your resume, improve your interview skills, optimize online job searches, and more! And if you make the right impression at a career fair, you may land an interview on the spot, something that could take days or months through more traditional job application methods.
Also Check: Southwest Referral Rapid Rewards
Can I Join The Army In Exchange For Us Citizenship
Update: Much has fundamentally changed since the Blog below was published. Unfortunately, nobody can now enlist in the military without acquiring a Green Card first. The process this Blog describes was ended in 2016. Current military members still following it were all enlisted prior to October 2016. There are other ways to naturalize through military service, but it is a slow process. We felt the need to update this Blog accordingly, and will be discussing current angles of the process more in the future.
You may have heard that by joining the U.S. Military, citizenship can be granted quickly. While this is true, there are some limitations and specific areas of eligibility that you need to be aware of before you consider making a serious commitment to enroll in the military.
There are two different scenarios which can grant you Citizenship. One is for people that are here legally on a non-immigrant visa or asylee/refugee, TPS or DACA status . The other is for those who are already lawful permanent residents and are actively serving in the military.
Types Of International Student Visas
- F1 VisaAcademic Studies
- The “F” visa is for academic studies. AnF1 visa is issued to studentswho are attending an academic program or English Language Program. F1 visas are by far the most common form ofinternational student visa in the U.S. F1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time studentstatus. F1 status allows for part-time, on-campus employment . Additionally,students can work onoptional practical training for up to one year after completion of their academic program. Students are expected to complete their studiesby the expiration date on the I-20 form .
Recommended Reading: Comenity.net/ultimaterewardsmastercard
Arf4 Foreign Armed Forces Members Coming To The Uk For Training Or Familiarisation Courses
Armed forces who are not exempt from immigration control who are invited to undergo training in the UK provided by H.M. Forces or invited to become familiarised with military equipment being supplied by British firms, overseen by the MOD are subject to immigration control but are not required to seek entry under the points based system. In all cases such individuals should be able to supply evidence from a UK based MOD / HM Forces sponsor demonstrating their requirement to be in the UK.
Responsibilities You Will Have As Green Card Holder
As a green card holder, you also have certain responsibilities to uphold:
Failure to do so can result in losing your green card. Each of these responsibilities is discussed in more detail below.
How To Join The Us Army If You Are Not A Us Citizen
You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to join the Army, but you do have to live here. You cannot join the military from a foreign country you must become a permanent U.S. resident, AKA a green-card holder. In the past enlisting with a green card has been a fast track to full citizenship, but as of February 2018, the rules are in flux.
Can F1 Students Join The Military
F-1 is a type of student visa that allows international students to study in the US. This one is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. It id s non-immigrant visa. So an international student can get this visa for their further education.
However, normally F-1 visa doesnt allow students to join the military. But if you have all the skills that military people need, then you may receive an exception. However, if you apply using form N-400 for US citizenship, then you can join the military.
Recommended Reading: 1-877-295-2080
How Can An International Student Join The Us Army
There is no way except for having a permanent address in the US if you want to join the US army. So this is something you need to have before you think about getting into the US army. And also this is something that you have to keep in your mind always.
However, international students who are interested in serving in the military can apply for a program called MAVNI. With the help of this program, non-citizens can get a chance in the US army. However, you need to qualify their requirements such as you to have all the legal documents and critical skills that are needed for a US army.
Arf14 What Documents Do The Dependants Of Members Of Hm Armed Forces Need To Provide
Dependants of HM armed forces and those exempt must, first and foremost, be able to show that they are the spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner or child of a member of the armed forces in case of children, original birth certificates, adoption papers, etc should be supplied with the application and should be requested if not supplied.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Employment With An International Organization
The final category of employment for international students in the U.S. on F1 visas is employment with a “recognizedinternational organization.” To qualify, an organization must be on the official State Department list, and listedorganizations include the Red Cross, African and Asian Development Banks, the World Health Organization, the WorldTrade Organization, and many other similar but less well-known organizations. Because it does not have the universalapplication of OPT or CPT, this category of employment is often overlooked. Only students with a job offer andsponsorship from one of the listed organizations are eligible. However, for those lucky students who do have suchsponsorship, there are clear benefits of this employment category.
Requirements to work for an international organization:
If you meet these requirements, you can apply for an Employment Authorization Document from the United StatesCitizenship and Immigration Service . You can start to work only after you receive your EAD, which can takeup to 3 months.
Can I Join The Army With An I
According to the U.S. Department of Defense, all applicants must prove they are legally eligible to enter the military with the required supporting documents. The I-766 Employment Authorization Document does not prove this and cannot be used to join the Army.
Explore this article
Also Check: My Cabelas Club Visa
Can International Students Join The Army
International students attending college in the United States on a student visa cannot enlist in the U.S. Army. On a student visa, an individual can enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the start of the program and must leave the U.S. no more than 60 days after the educational program ends, advises the U.S. Department of State.
International students cannot join the U.S. Army unless they are permanent residents.
Us Employment Rules For F1 Students
Most international students in the United States holdan F1 visa,which is the U.S. non-immigrant student visa. F1 students are allowed to work in the United States, but only undercertain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United StatesCitizenship and Immigration Service .
Generally, all employment is contingent on remaining within the terms and restrictions of your F1 visa. There areseveral categories of employment during the term of your stay as an F1 student in the United States. On-campusemployment is the most freely available, and then there are four categories of off-campus employment:
Recommended Reading: Does Capital One Cover Rental Car Insurance
Arf6 Requirements For Settlement In The Uk As The Spouse / Civil Partner/ Unmarried Partner/ Same Sex Partner Of A Foreign Or Commonwealth Citizen Who Is A Member Of Hm Armed Forces
If the foreign or Commonwealth sponsor has completed 5 years continuous service as a serving member of HM armed forces their spouse / civil partner/ unmarried partner / same sex partner may qualify for settlement if they meet the relevant requirements of paragraphs 276R and can be granted ILE if they satisfy these conditions.
- the applicant is married to, or the civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of, a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is being admitted on the same occasion for settlement in accordance with paragraphs 276E to 276Q or of a member of HM Forces who is exempt from immigration control under section 8 of the Immigration Act 1971 and has at least 5 years continuous service and
- the parties to the marriage, or civil partnership or relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership have met and
- the parties were married or formed a civil partnership or a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership at least 2 years ago and
- each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner and
- the marriage, civil partnership or relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership is subsisting and
- the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity. .
For further details on settlement for HM armed forces and their dependants see IDI chapter 15 section 2A – Persons seeking settlement: HM forces.
Become An Investor In The Us
Another route to get a Green Card is by investing in the US economy. This only applies if you are wealthy enough to afford it. When you invest $500K to $1M in a US commercial enterprise and create more than 10 permanent jobs, you can get the EB-5 visa.
The EB-5 visa is a Green Card for wealthy investors. You need to fulfill specific criteria to get it and there are four types of the EB-5 visa:
- C-5 visa for investors who create jobs outside of target areas
- T-5 visa for investors who create jobs in targeted rural or high unemployment areas
- R-5 visa for investors who take part in an Investor Pilot Program not in a target area
- I-5 visa for investors who take part in an Investor Pilot Program in a targeted area
While the EB-1 visa is difficult to get because of its extensive requirements, the EB-5 is difficult because of the financial prerequisites. But if you can afford it, it is one of the better ways to go from an F-1 visa to a Green Card.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Students: What Is A Dso
If you have been accepted to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program -certified school, you are probably hearing plenty of new terms related to studying in the United States. If you are not sure what a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, or the I-901 SEVIS fee are, do not worry, you will learn. All of these terms are key, but it is especially important to take note of designated school officials , your biggest resource as an F or M student. DSOs can answer your questions and guide you through the process of studying in the United States.
All SEVPcertified schools are required to have DSOs to communicate with SEVP, update your student record, and help you maintain your student status by providing advice, or helping your fill out important forms. While benefits like employment or driving are available to you in the United States, you need authorization from your DSO before enjoying them. Speak to your DSO before doing any of the following:
- Working in the United States
Applying For Your Visa
When putting together your application for a student visa, you will first need to research the admission policy foryour university. Keep the following items in mind:
- Academic Eligibility
Every school has different academic eligibility criteria. Your school will tell you what their requirementsare. If you are still in the process of researching different schools, you can use the USA School Search to research general academic standing and testscores.
- Financial Stability
You will need to show that you can support yourself without having to work.
- Health Insurance
You may have to show proof of health insurance in order tocover any medical expenses shouldyou need any medical assistance.
Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S.consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.
For detailed application information and help preparing for your visa interview, please visit theF1 Visa Application processsection.
You May Like: Pay Best Buy Credit Card Bill