Who Can Apply For A Schengen Visa In The Us
The Schengen member states have established their embassies, consulates, and visa application centers in the United States of America. These are responsible for the admission and procession of Schengen visa applications. However, not everyone can file a Schengen visa application while in the US.
Only the following qualify for visa application submission at the Schengen embassies/consulates / VACs in the US:
- US passport holders who have been refused entry to Europe.
- Nationals of third countries, which are required to obtain a visa to Europe, living in the US under a permanent or temporary residence permit.
Please note that if you are in need of a visa to enter Europe, but you are in the US on a visiting visa , you will instead have to apply for an EU visa at the appropriate Schengen embassy in your home country.
Embassies in the US only process visa applications of foreigners residing in the US on a permanent or temporary residence permit.
Applying For Eu Work Visa From The United States
If you are a non-US citizen, live permanently in the US and are not from the above countries, you need to apply for a National visa if you are planning to work in Europe. You are not permitted to work if you hold or are applying for a Schengen visa for up to 90 days this type of visa is for tourism, business, or medical purposes, and visiting family or friends only.
The National visa allows applicants to enter the Schengen zone for over 90 days, usually up to a period of 1 year. If you are planning to stay longer youll need a residence permit.
National visas are usually offered on a single entry basis which means you can enter the Schengen country once only. However, you can apply for a multiple entry which will allow you to go in and out of the country you are living or working in within the validity of the visa. There are certain groups of people whom a multiple entry visa would be considered such as students, professionals and those conducting research.
Each country has its own requirements to cover its specific industry needs, so their criteria, as well as the application process, can differ.
The first thing youll need to do is to find out which consulate you need to contact:
To begin applying for your EU employment visa, you should follow these 5 steps:
How Can Us Citizens Get A Schengen Student Visa
Once I got settled in Spain, I had to apply for a resident card within my first 90 days, which was as long as my student visa was good for. This part was a bit less stressful, though it did involve taking the metro out to the boondocks and standing in line all morning, hoping that I had all the documents I needed.
Read Also: How To Find Out Interest Rate On Credit Card
Schengen Visa Application Documents And Requirements For Canadian Residents
The following documents are required in order to obtain a Schengen visa in Canada:
- A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure that:
- Your passport has been issued within the previous 10 years,
- Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
- Your passport will be valid for at least three months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
Latvia Residency By Investment Program
Latvias residency by investment program has a 50,000 minimum investment requirement. There are three main investment options:
Any of these options allow you to apply for Latvian residency. And, the visa is a pathway to Latvia permanent residency and citizenship.
Please read our Latvia investment visa page for more information.
Recommended Reading: Is Firestone Credit Card Good
Employment Visa Of Europe
Although the 26 Schengen countries have mutual borders, but each country has its own visa policies. The programs for employment in EU countries have been launched to cover the needs of the labor and fill the shortage of jobs. Thus, the requirements and criteria along with the process of applications largely depend on the labor needs of each European country.
Digital Nomad Or Freelancer Visas For Europe
Are you a freelancer or digital nomad traveling around the world while you work? Wondering how to stay in the EU longer than the 90 days that the SCHENGEN visa gives you? Well, we have written a comprehensive article for you. It covers all the best options available to you to live in Europe while you travel.
For more inspiration read our blog on the 14 ways to get EU residency that you might not know about
Don’t Miss: Is It Safer To Use Paypal Or Credit Card
Embassy Of Switzerland In China
The Swiss embassy represents Switzerland’s interests in the country and provides consular services and visa support for people resident in: All provinces of the Peoples Republic of China – except: Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui and Guangdong, Fujian, Hainan, Guangxi, Hunan, Jiangxi – and the countries of Mongolia and North Korea
Information and round-the-clock assistance worldwide travel carefree with the FDFA’s new app in your pocket.
At Which Schengen Countrys Embassy In Canada Should I Apply For A Schengen Visa
Depending on your purpose and/or length of visit there are specifications that further clarify at which Embassy or Consulate you should apply.
- If visiting one Schengen country you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the particular country of your destination.
- If visiting more than one Schengen country you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the country of your main destination .
- If visiting more than one Schengen country with equal stay duration you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the Schengen country you will enter first.
- If you intend to stay in the Schengen area for over 90 days you must apply for a residence permit , not a Schengen visa. Instructions are on the respective embassy/consulates homepage.
Please, note that if you are not a resident in Canada you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
You May Like: Can You Settle Credit Card Debt If You Are Current
How Can I Get An Eu Residence Permit To Live In Europe
Are lucky enough to have a passport to one of the members of the EEA ? If so, then you can freely work and live in any EEA country. Members are all the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.
If your passport is from anywhere else then you need to get a residency permit. There are many options available including the following:
Confused Where To Start
If you are confused, worried or stuck, the best next step to take is to Get a Free Consultation.
The session takes 5 to 10 minutes, starts immediately and you will get our advice delivered to your inbox by a Visa Expert within 1-2 hours. This is not a video or phone call, it is just like a live chat, where we can understand your situation better and an expert shares what you should do next.
There is no commitment to use our services at all, we just provide you advice based on our assessment of your situation and give you the next steps you need to follow to get your Schengen visa.
Click the Free Consultation button below to get the information you have been searching for
Read Also: Can I Buy Crypto With Credit Card
Fill Out The Visa Application Form
and fill it correctly and honestly.
The Schengen visa application form has the same format no matter which countrys visa it is that the applicant is applying for.
You will have to give the following information on your Schengen visa application form:
- Your personal information,
- Your purpose of wishing to enter the Schengen Area,
- Other details regarding your trip.
In order to complete and submit the form correctly, pay attention to the following tips:
- Make sure you fill out every required gap. Here you can find some clear instructions on how to fill in the visa application form.
- Do not leave any columns blank. If you feel that, there are columns that do not correspond to your case, fill them with NA .
- Remember to print the form twice. Sign both of the copies at the end.
- If you are a minor, your parents have to submit a written consent and sign it in the corresponding column of the application form.
Whats It Like Staying In Europe Over 90 Days
Since we were only travelling weekends, we werent in much danger of overstaying in the Schengen Zone, but rather of overstaying in Romania. My work visa was more flexible but my husband had the 90 day visa and he headed to Berlin for 10 days when he was getting close to his limit in Romania.
Read Also: What Is The Best Credit Card For Rewards
Difference Between The Eu And The Schengen Area
The European Union is more concerned with the single market and ensures the free movement of all EU citizens between the 27 countries. In contrast, the Schengen area provides foreign nationals with access to the member states upon meeting the criteria set by the Schengen countries.
The Republic of Ireland is the only European Union country that refused to sign the Schengen Agreement. On the other hand, EU members, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, and Croatia have not been admitted to the Schengen Area due to technical or internal issues.
Documents Required When Travelling For The Purpose Of Participating In Cultural Sports Or Religious Events In Europe
- Event Information. I.e. invitation letters, entry tickets, enrollment conditions, detailed programme and other documents that present relevant information about the event.
- Proof of previous performances. Participation in previous festivals and ceremonies , sports competitions, winners certificates, proof of world/international ranking .
Europe Visa Requirements for:
Also Check: Does Amex Cover Travel Insurance
Where Can I Apply For A Visa
Visa applications for Germany are now received by TLScontact except for some categories. For more information please visit the Jurisdiction page.
- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which your main destination lies
- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination , you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country that is your first point of entry.
Who Needs A Visa To Work In Europe
Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens do not need to apply for a work visa to Europe. However, upon arriving at the country where they will be working, they have to apply for their residence and work permit.
Citizens of other countries must apply and get an employment visa before entering the Schengen territories for work purposes.
Don’t Miss: Can I Buy Bitcoins With Prepaid Visa Card
Hack #: Apply At A Smaller Schengen Country If Your Trip Is Imminent
While Hack #2 is convenient, it still takes around two weeks to get your passport back. For last-minute travelers, this can be too late. In such situations, I recommend applying for a Schengen visa in a smaller country. My preference is Luxembourg – you have to email them with your dates, and they usually make a concerted effort to get your passport back in time. Of course, you have to ‘tweak’ the itineraries to be in the country you’re applying to, but that’s okay. Once you get your Schengen visa, you are free to travel to any of the Schengen countries.
What Are Some Of The Challenges With Applying For A Visa From These Countries
When I applied for a Schengen visa to go to Thessaloniki, Greece last year for a long weekend, the Greek Liaison Office in Pristina gave me only a three-month visa with 21 days available to spend in the Schengen zone. Despite it being the second visa issued by this office and being my fifth visa on the passport and about my 15th visa in total in the past 10 years including a valid three-year US visa 21 days is all I got from the Greek office.
Moreover, I only got my answer the day before I planned to leave so I still had to run home and get ready and leave the next morning. Nevertheless, I managed to get ready for the next morning and had a fabulous time in Thessaloniki. I used that visa and those 21 days to the maximum and later during the year went to Croatia, Germany, and Slovenia.
Don’t Miss: How To Close Victoria Secret Credit Card
Attend The Visa Interview
On the day of your appointment, show up on time at the facility where you will be interviewed. There you will meet a visa consular to whom you need to hand the collected documents, as required.
During the interview, you will be asked personal questions about your whereabouts, the intended trip and other travel details. Make sure your answers are firm and correct, and that they comply with the information in the application form and the other documents. The interview may last around 10-15 minutes.
What Documents Are Required For Schengen Visa For Minors
The parents / legal guardians of minors applying for a Schengen visa must submit some extra documents for the underage applicant:
- The minors birth certificate.
- Application form signed by both parents.
- Family court order in cases where only one parent has full custody of the child.
- Certified copies of ID/passport of both parents.
- A notarized parental authorization signed by both parents/guardians if the minor will be travelling alone.
Also Check: How To Remove Credit Card From Chegg
When To Apply For A Schengen Visa From The Us
The allowed period to apply for a Schengen visa in the US is as follows:
- The earliest you can file a visa application: three months before you start your planned trip.
- The latest you can file a visa application: at most 15 working days before you intend to travel.
- The recommended time to file a visa application: at least three weeks before your trip.
*Caution: When applying for a Schengen visa in the US during summer or winter seasons, be cautious and/or plan your visit earlier, as these are the months when Embassies receive the highest numbers of applications consequently, taking longer to complete the visa processing!
Family Members Of Swiss Or Eu/eaa Citizens
If you are a family member you may lodge the application at VFS Global. The appointment booking is free of charge but the service fee needs to be paid.
Family members as defined above shall keep the right to submit their visa application directly at the Swiss representation. If you choose to do so, please note that an appointment still needs to be booked through VFS Global.
Please be aware, if you choose to submit your application directly at the Embassy or Consulate General the appointment time will exceed the appointment waiting time of VFS Global. In urgent cases, it is therefore recommended to lodge the visa application directly at VFS Global.
Recommended Reading: Is Mission Lane Credit Card Legit
How Long Does It Take To Receive The Visa
It is advisable to apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa at least 2 weeks prior to the planned trip. The Embassy Consulate will then reply in 10 working days as common , the time taken to proceed with all the documentation and the travellers request. Depending on the situation, proceeding time might take up to two months if there is something extraordinary with the individual case or any unusual political situation is on the go.
Required Documents For Visa Application For Underage Children
- Original birth certificate among others.
- Signed travel consent from both parents
- If one parent is not located in Kanada they should submit their signed consent to the German Embassy/Consulate of their residing country
Note: All documents must be either English or officially translated by a certified translator in the official language of the European country you are applying for a visa.
Don’t Miss: What Are Membership Rewards Points Amex