Know Your Rewards Program
Rewards programs vary by issuer to issuer or from card to card. To find the best ways to maximize points, miles or cash back, youll need to read the fine print. Fortunately, we have highlights, along with links to reviews, of popular credit card rewards programs to help you familiarize yourself with their current terms and conditions.
Youre Our First Priorityevery Time
We believe everyone should be able to make financial decisions with confidence. And while our site doesnt feature every company or financial product available on the market, were proud that the guidance we offer, the information we provide and the tools we create are objective, independent, straightforward and free.
So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us. This may influence which products we review and write about , but it in no way affects our recommendations or advice, which are grounded in thousands of hours of research. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services.Here is a list of our partners.
Are Credit Card Points Worth It
Your lifestyle and spending habits will influence whether reward points are worth it to you. There may also be opportunities to earn cash back points by making your regular grocery, department store, and gas station purchases on a reward credit card. Frequent travelers may find it convenient and worthwhile to book hotel rooms and flights through select travel booking sites to earn miles or points or enroll in co-branded loyalty programs for exclusive point accumulation. Bonus promotions could also offer new users generous point redemption, depending on the promotion being offered.
So You Know You Want A Rewards Credit Card But Not Sure Which One
Our list of the best rewards credit cards can help narrow down your choices if you already know what you want. But what if you’re not sure which type of credit card is best suited to your spending habits.;
If you’re looking to maximize rewards on your everyday spending, look no further than the following credit cards. We’ll break it down by spending category from dining to gas to groceries.
Td Aeroplan Visa Infinite
Why is it one of the best?
- The card comes with a huge sign-up bonus. As a new cardholder, you can recieve: a first-year annual fee rebate, up to 20,000 bonus points, and a âBuddy Passâ companion ticket . Offer ends August 16, 2021
- While Aeroplan is owned by Air Canada, you can also redeem points on over two dozen Star Alliance partner airlines including Lufthansa, United Airlines, and more.;
- Aeroplan points can deliver great value depending on your travel routes and the time of year.
- As an Aeroplan credit card holder, youâll receive preferred pricing and can often book flights on Air Canada with fewer points.
- With Aeroplanâs generous stopover policy, you can travel further and visit more locations while stretching the value of your points. .
- When flying on Air Canada, you and up to eight travel companions can check in your first bag for free .
- It offers a slew of side perks including built-in mobile device insurance and a NEXUS fee reimbursement every 48 months for smoother cross-border between the US and Canada.
- Comprehensive travel insurance benefits including hotel-motel burglary insurance and travel medical insurance for trips up to 21 days.
- Unlike most other credit cards, authorized users will receive access to virtually all the same perks as the primary cardholder.
- Get Aeroplan perks including access to the Aeroplan e-store and the ability to earn âSQM and SQSâ on your everyday spending that goes towards achieving elite Aeroplan status.
You May Like: How To Check Your Visa Credit Card Balance
Pros Of Rewards Credit Cards
- The perks and ancillary benefits are great: Rewards cards frequently include discounts on retail and services along with benefits like trip protection, car rental insurance, cellphone insurance and other types of consumer protections.
- Cardmembers earn high-value rewards and bonuses: When you find a rewards card that matches your spending habits, you can maximize earnings and receive cash back on purchases or put those rewards towards flights, hotel stays and more. Cards usually offer some type of welcome bonus to incentivize you to spend, such as 50,000 to 100,000 bonus points after you spend around $3,000 to $5,000 within the first three to six months of opening your account. These introductory offers are an excellent way to jumpstart your earnings and give you the points you need to earn status from airline and hotel loyalty programs.
How Do I Choose A Rewards Credit Card
Theres;no right and wrong answer;for what is the best credit card. Options should be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on each individuals unique circumstances.
You should be looking at the rewards rate, annual fee and benefits to decide which cards will give you the most long-term value. From there, you can choose which card within those parameters offers the best welcome bonus to strategize which card is best for you to apply for right now.
Here are some important factors we feel are most important to consider when youre doing your research.
Rewards cards arent for everyoneBefore taking out a credit card, the most important thing to consider is your credit. In most cases, only those with credit scores of 690 or above will have application accepted for credit cards.
This is not a hard and fast rule, however, as there are a few options for those considered to have bad credit.
Once youve figured that out, you should consider if youll be able to limit your spending on the card so that you are able to pay it off in full each month. If so, then a rewards credit card makes sense.
If not, the interest accrued is likely to write off any value youll have earned in points or rewards from the card. In this case you might be better off considering a low-interest, or a balance-transfer credit card instead that has a 0% interest period so you dont get swamped with debt.
You May Like: Can I Get My Credit Card Debt Forgiven
Comparing The Top Rewards Credit Cards
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||$95 ;||20% back on Amazon.com purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership, plus $150 back as a statement credit after you spend $3,000 on the Card within the first 6 months||
6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets*** and on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and on transit
1% cash back on everything else
* 1% cash back when you make a purchase, and another 1% cash back when you pay your bill
**4x points on the first $25,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year, then 1 point per dollar
*** 6% cash back on up to $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year, then 1% cash back
Align Rewards With Your Interests
Reward card programs come in many different forms generally allowing you to accumulate points toward merchandise, gift cards, travel miles or points, or cash back so it makes sense to align rewards with your interests and goals. If youre hunkering down and trying to budget your income better, you might choose a card that offers cash back toward such basics as shopping at your favorite grocery store or filling your gas tank. If traveling is your thing, an airline miles credit card for an airline that flies out of your local hub may do the trick.
Just dont pick a rewards program that you arent likely to use. Also, be wary of rewards that end up enticing you to spend more money than you can afford in exchange for a sign-up bonus.
Also Check: How To Withdraw Money From Credit Card
Pros Of Stacking Credit Cards
- Get multiple welcome offers. You can take advantage of any offers available when signing up for a new card.
- Maximize your earn rate. With multiple credit cards, its easy to get an increased earn rate regardless of what youre purchasing.
- Free benefits. Many no-fee credit cards offer perks that you may find interesting.
Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best For Entertainment Rewards
Sign-up bonus:;$300 after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
Rewards rate: Earn 4% cash back on dining, entertainment purchases, and popular streaming services, 3% at grocery stores and 1% on everything else.
Who should apply:;Anyone who spends a lot on dining and entertainment should consider this card. Capital One defines both of those categories broadly, meaning youll earn 4% back for sit-down restaurants, take-out, coffee shops and bakeries, concert tickets, movies, sporting events and even tourist attractions.
This is a great tiered earning structure for rewards-card beginners because you dont have to pay attention to changing categories. Plus, it offers excellent value for veterans of the rewards game. With;no foreign transaction fees, this is the perfect card to;use on entertainment purchases, both at home and when traveling.
The information for the Capital One Savor card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Money Off Credit Card
Best Rewards Credit Cards Of September 2021
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list ofour partnersandhere’s how we make money.
Rewards credit cards come in two main varieties: cash-back cards and travel cards. Cash-back cards pay you back a percentage of the amount of each transaction.;Travel rewards credit cards give you points or miles for each dollar you spend;;you redeem those rewards for free flights, hotel stays and more.;No single;rewards card is right for everyone. It’s all about how you spend money and what kind of rewards you value.
Some of our selections for the best rewards credit cards can be applied for through NerdWallet, and some cannot. Below, you’ll find application links for;the credit cards from our partners;that are available through NerdWallet, followed by the full list of our picks.
Chase Freedom Flex: Best For Rotating Rewards
Sign-up bonus: $200 after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
Rewards rate:;Earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 in purchases spent on;quarterly rotating categories;; 5% on travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards portal; 3% on dining and drugstores; 1% on everything else.
Who should apply: If youre willing to keep up with spending categories that change every three months, you can get a lot out of a rewards card such as the Chase Freedom Flex. The categories are often easy to maximize. For example, the third quarter 2021 categories are groceries and select streaming services. If you maximize the bonus categories each quarter, youll earn $300 in bonus category rewards each year. This new card also comes with cell phone protection.
You can also pair this card with any of the best Chase credit cards that can earn Chase Ultimate Rewards and earn valuable Chase points rather than just cash back. With TPGs valuation of Chase points;at 2 cents each, youll be earning up to 10% back on bonus category spending.
Read Also: Is Paypal Credit Card Good
What Can I Do With Credit Card Rewards
What you can do with credit card rewards will depend on the type of rewards you have. If you have miles or points with a specific airline or chain, you will be able to redeem for trips with that vendor or its partners.
If you have flexible points, you have more options. You can transfer your points to a number of travel partners or redeem points directly for travel with the credit cards travel agency.
Cons Of Rewards Credit Cards
- Rewards often have strings attached: Unfortunately, earning rewards can sometimes be easier than using them. Airlines, hotels, and travel partners often have blackout dates or bar you from booking coveted business class seats or premium hotel rooms across much of the calendar. Usually this coincides with peak travel periods but not always. For cash back, rewards are often capped, require registration or include some other mild hurdle that makes earning a little less straight-forward than it may have seemed in the promotional copy.
- Fees can be expensive: Generally, the bigger the rewards, the higher the annual fee. Some high-end rewards cards charge as much as $500 to $700 a year. And aside from the annual fee, there are plenty of other fees to consider, like potentially high APR rates, foreign transaction fees and balance transfer fees. Those who frequently make use of their cards benefits and perks can often recoup the cost of the annual fee in little time. On the flip side of this, if youre someone who rarely takes advantage of what your card has to offer, youre probably wasting your money.
Don’t Miss: How To Change Usps Address Without Credit Card
What Is The Best Credit Card For Rewards
The best credit card for rewards will vary depending on what benefits are most important to you.; Do you want airline or hotel points with a specific brand or more flexible rewards?; Are you willing to pay a high annual fee? That said, if you are looking for a flexible travel rewards card, consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. A card like the Sapphire Preferred has a flexible rewards currency that you can use to purchase tickets on any airline or rooms at any hotel available in the Chase travel portal or to transfer to many airline and hotel partners.
Applying For A New Card
Before applying for a rewards credit card, think about your financial picture, which cards you might be eligible for and which ones offer earnings bonuses at the places you shop. Rewards cards tend to require good to excellent credit, so it’s a good idea to check your credit score, which you can do for free through Experian, to determine whether your score is within the average range for any card you are thinking about. Here are a few to consider right now.
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: For a limited time, earn 130,000 Hilton Honors bonus points with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card after you use your new card to make $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. Plus, you can earn an additional 50,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you spend a total of $10,000 in purchases on the card in the first 6 months. The annual fee is $95. You’ll earn 12 bonus points per dollar on eligible charges directly from a hotel in the Hilton portfolio; 6 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations; and 3 points per dollar on other eligible purchases. Terms apply.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: You’ll earn an unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase with this card. You can also receive a Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fee statement credit for up to $100 once every four years. The card’s annual fee is $95.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Credit Card For Military
Maximize Credit Card Category Bonuses In Your Everyday Spending
Outside of welcome bonuses, one of the easiest ways to earn miles and points is to maximize your credit card category bonuses. Most credit cards offer double, triple or even quintuple points in certain spend categories. For example, the American Express® Gold Card card offers 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar at restaurants, including takeout and delivery, 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets , 3 Membership Rewards points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express travel. All other eligible purchases earn 1 point per dollar. . If you hold the card, make sure you maximize the category bonus by using the card for all your dining and supermarket purchases.
Some credit cards, like the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card card, allow you to choose a bonus category. That card lets you earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and unlimited 1% on all other purchases. Cards with that kind of flexibility allow you to choose your own bonus categories which can make your points earning even more efficient.
Make sure you know what bonus categories each of your credit cards offer and try to earn bonus points whenever you can to get you to your travel goal even faster. You could even use stickers to help you remember which card to use at which venue.
How Many Points Will You Earn On A Purchase
Calculating the number of credit card points youll earn on a purchase is fairly simple, as long as you know your rewards program and the type of business youre shopping in. You can divide the dollar amount of your purchase by the number points youll earn for that transaction. For example, if your card pays two points for every dollar you spend on travel purchases, youll earn 600 points for a $300 airplane ticket.
Rewards are categorized based on the type of business youre purchasing from, not necessarily the type of purchases you make. Food purchased from a cafe inside a grocery store, for example, may be considered groceries rather than dining because youre buying from a grocery store. This is important to keep in mind when youre making credit card purchases with a card that rewards additional points for different types of purchases .
You May Like: Where Can I Use My Valero Credit Card