Which Credit Cards Cover Car Rental Insurance
At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our .
In this article:
Just as it’s imperative to carry automobile insurance for your own car, it’s equally important to make sure cars you rent are covered. After all, you wouldn’t want to be held financially liable for dings, scratches or major damage that might occur while a rental car is in your care.
Rental agencies often try to upsell their customers with expensive rental policies, but some credit cards include rental car insurance as one of their benefits just for being a cardholder. Although many credit cards have dropped this type of protection lately, some of the best travel rewards credit cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, still offer it. Here’s everything you need to know about how credit card car rental insurance works and how to choose the right credit card for your needs.
The Vacationers Final Thoughts
If youre someone who likes to travel and who wants a simple way to earn rewards, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a solid choice. With an annual fee of $95, this card provides a way to earn rewards without breaking the bank. It comes with some nice travel perks that make sense for the frequent traveler. Plus, youll have several redemption options, which allows for greater flexibility when it comes time to cash out your miles.
Editorial Disclosure:Opinions expressed here are the authors alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Natasha has been a freelance writer since 2015. She specializes in writing travel and credit card rewards content. When not busy writing, shes either dreaming up her next credit card rewards redemption or traveling the globe. Her goal is to encourage more people to experience the world around them while making smart money choices.
Get The Vacationer Newsletter
Get highlights of the most important news delivered to your email inbox
Important Things To Know About Credit Card Rental Car Insurance In Costa Rica
You must check with your credit card company and the specific car rental agency youre working with for coverage details but there are some things that are generally true and important to know about using VISA, MasterCard or American Express.
Other Options | Damage Claims | Fine Print
Also Check: How To Cancel Jcpenney Credit Card
Does Your Credit Card Cover Rental Car Insurance Here’s How To Find Out
by Kimberly Rotter | April 22, 2021
Many or all of the products here are from our partners. We may earn a commission from offers on this page. Its how we make money. But our editorial integrity ensures our experts opinions arent influenced by compensation. Terms may apply to offers listed on this page.
Find out if your credit card provides insurance that allows you to waive the coverage offered by the rental car agency.
A simple money-saving strategy can help you get more bang for your buck the next time you rent a car. By using the right credit card, you can safely decline the optional coverage offered by the rental car agency and save anywhere from $9 to $45 per day.
Keep reading to learn more about what covers and how to make sure you’re eligible.
How Do You Choose The Right Credit Card For Car Rental Insurance
Because every credit cards auto insurance policy is so different, we strongly encourage you to check your cards Guide to Benefits or contact your cards customer service department before renting a car.
Get a copy of your cards policy in print or online , and be sure to ask these questions:
- Which types of vehicles are covered? Most of the time, trucks and exotic, specialty, and luxury cars arent covered by credit card car rental insurance. Neither are peer car rental services like Zipcar. Notable exceptions include Citi and Amex cards, which often cover expensive cars. Chases rental coverage may also exclude vehicles with open beds, including pickups, and motorcycles.
- Which countries are covered? Many credit card insurance policies exclude certain foreign countries like Ireland, Jamaica, Israel, Italy, Australia, and New Zealand. Citi and Chase cards often dont have these restrictions.
- Is loss of use covered? If a rental vehicle gets damaged or lost, the agency will usually charge for towing and loss of use while its getting repaired or replaced. Visa cards usually cover these fees Mastercards vary.
- How long am I covered? Most credit cards offer coverage for a rental period of 1530 days.
Don’t Miss: Best Buy Credit Application
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
This travel credit card also provides an auto rental collision damage waiver benefit. This coverage offers reimbursement up to the full cash value of the vehicle for collision damage and theft for eligible vehicles. To use this benefit, youll need to charge the full cost of your rental vehicle to your credit card. Youll also need to decline the rental car companys collision damage waiver.
Most vehicles are covered, but some are not such as exotic vehicles, trucks, motorcycles, and limousines. This benefit is available within the United States and most foreign countries, but there are some country exclusions. Some exclusions apply.
This coverage acts as secondary insurance if you have your own car insurance policy. If you dont have car insurance coverage , it functions as primary insurance coverage.
Your Benefits Capital One
Capital One reward miles. Trip means a scheduled period of time during which an Insured Person is away from his or her province or territory of residence in Canada. Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance This coverage is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. For the purposes of the Car Rental Collision/Loss
Read Also: Does Walmart Have Prepaid Visa Cards
Heres How Capital One Venture Rental Car Insurance Works:
- Cost: $0
- Length of Coverage: Up to 15 consecutive days for domestic rentals, and up to 31 consecutive days internationally.
- Covered events: Collision damage and theft.
- Coverage Value: Vehicles original cash value, plus a tow to the nearest repair shop.
- Vehicles Covered: Most cars, minivans and SUVS.
- Vehicles Not Covered: Trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, RVs, vehicles over 20 years old and luxury vehicles .
- Countries Not Covered: Jamaica, Ireland, and Israel.
- Other Exclusions: Lost or stolen personal items, personal injuries, and medical expenses.
- Time to Report Damage: 45 days from the incident.
- Time to File a Claim: 90 days from the incident.
- Filing a Claim: You can file online or by mail. Include copies of your rental agreement, billing statement showing the rental, proof of car insurance , repair bill, and incident report from the rental agency.
Capital One Venture rental car insurance could be a huge money-saver. Its important to note that if you have another driver, they must be listed on the rental agreement, or the insurance will not cover anything from when they were driving.
Capital One Venture X Vs The Platinum Card From American Express
The Amex Platinum Card is another premium travel credit card available to consumers, but how does it stack up against the Venture X?
The card has a $695 annual fee , which is the one of the highest annual fees around.
To get started with the card, you can earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points after after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first six months.
As you spend on the card, you will earn:
- 5X Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent with airlines directly or with Amex Travel, up to $500,000 per calendar year
- 5X points per dollar spent on prepaid hotels with AmexTravel.com
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
The card also comes with a long list of lifestyle and travel benefits, including:
- Up to $200 Uber Cash credit
- Up to $200 airline fee credit
- Up to $100 Saks in statement credits annually
- $100 Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit
- $240 annual digital entertainment credit
- Up to $300 equinox credit
- $155 Walmart+ credit
- Up to $179 CLEAR credit
- Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, including Centurion lounges and Delta SkyClubs when flying Delta on the same day
- Complimentary gold status at Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Rental car loyalty program benefits
- Access to American Express concierge service
You May Like: How To Pay Best Buy Credit Card On App
Best Credit Cards With Car Rental Insurance
When it comes to auto rental insurance, certain credit card companies stand out. Our favorite picks are all from Chase.
The following travel rewards cards provide primary insurance coverage, have no country restrictions, offer rental car coverage for up to 31 days, and cover loss-of-use fees. And if you use Ultimate Rewards points to book your rental, youll still receive coverage.
securely on the issuer’s website
- Min. credit levelGood
- Additional Cards Annual FeeN/A
- Foreign Transaction Fee$0
If you frequently travel for work, you should consider getting a business credit card. Just note business cards usually dont provide car insurance policies for personal travel. Thanks to its generous introductory bonus and rental insurance, the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is our pick.
Key Features & Terms
- Annual fee: $95
- Introductory bonus: 100,000 bonus points for spending $15,000 in the first 3 months after account opening
- Rewards: 5X points per dollar on Lyft rides 3X points per dollar on the first $150,000 spent annually on travel, shipping, online advertising, internet, cable, and phone services 1X on everything else
- Perks: No foreign transaction fees 25% point bonus when redeeming for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal point transfer to airline and hotel loyalty programs
Read more about this cards car rental benefits.
Check out some more credit cards that offer primary rental car insurance at the bottom of this post.
Compare Capital One Credit Card Travel Insurance
Types of Capital One travel insurance policies. Here is a breakdown of the two types of travel insurance youll receive when using certain Capital One credit cards. Auto rental collision damage waiver. Youll have car rental coverage for damage due to collision or theft on eligible rental car vehicles.. Travel accident insurance.
You May Like: Activate Td Bank Gift Card
Visa Credit Card Rental Car Insurance
If you have a Visa credit card, youre in luck! All Visa Standard Credit, Rewards Credit, Signature®, Signature Preferred®, Premium Rewards cards offer secondary rental car insurance. This means that it comes into effect after your personal insurance coverage. If youre renting overseas, your Visa coverage will act as your primary coverage. In order to use Visas rental car insurance, youll need to waive the rental companys insurance and use your Visa card for the rental.
Visa covers up to 15 consecutive days of an auto rental in the U.S. and 31 consecutive days outside of the U.S. Visa does not cover rentals in Israel, Jamaica, Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. Most passenger cars, minivans and sports utility vehicles are covered but trucks, some luxury cars and certain vans are not. Any vehicles valued above $50,000 arent covered.
Without personal auto insurance, Visas auto rental collision damage waiver can help reimburse you for the covered theft and damage to the rental car. Any valid administrative, loss-of-use and reasonable towing charges related to damage can be covered, too. If you do have personal auto insurance, Visas rental car coverage will pay for the deductible portion of your insurance, plus the above administrative and towing costs.
Best Personal Amex Credit Cards For Car Rental Insurance Coverage
Most American Express credit cards come with complimentary secondary CDW coverage and allow you to purchase optional Premium Car Rental Protection.
This means that American Express credit cards are basically created equal when it comes to CDW coverage.
As a result, it makes sense to use an American Express card that delivers premium travel benefits and earns flexible points or hotel rewards when renting a vehicle. Heres what we suggest:
UP’s Bonus Valuation*:$2,200Must Reads: For more info on the Amex Platinum, see our thoughts on the cards incredible benefits and perks, which includes travel insurance coverage, car rental insurance and so much more. Check out our full review to see why it’s one of the best travel credit cards.
For luxury travel benefits, its difficult to beat the Amex Platinum card.
Plus, youll receive special benefits, discounts, and elite status with Hertz, Avis, and National Car Rental.
Airline tickets and hotels earn 5 valuable Membership Rewards Points per dollar spent, and points can be transferred to travel partners.
Use the complimentary secondary CDW that comes with the card, or opt for Premium Car Rental Protection for primary coverage.
Hot Tip: Dont miss our dedicated article for more information on the car rental and insurance benefits of the Amex Platinum card.
Don’t Miss: Vanilla Reward Card Check Balance
How Does Turo Car Rental Insurance Work
Turo also sells protection plans, which vary by market. You can see the full details on Turos website, but heres a quick summary of the plans available for rentals in the U.S.:
- Premier plan
- Cost is 100% of the trip price with a minimum charge of $14 per day
- Secondary third-party liability insurance coverage with a limit of $750,000
- Primary physical damage contract limiting your responsibility to $0 for physical damage to your hosts vehicle
These plans arent inexpensive. After all, for a sample one-week rental in Orlando that lists a $23.75 per day rental rate, Premier protection would cost $23.75 per day, Standard protection would cost $12 per day and Minimum protection would cost $10 per day.
The Capital One Ventureone Rewards Credit Card
Capital One also offers the Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card for those of us that may end up a tad less excited about paying an annual fee.
It has a lower miles earning rate of unlimited 1.25 miles per dollar spent on every purchase, every day.
It also offers a sign-up bonus that is much lower: 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 on purchases within the first three months from opening an account.
This no annual fee version of the card also has some cool benefits youll want to know about.
Read Also: How Do I Check My Cabela’s Credit Card Balance
Do I Need To Buy Car Rental Insurance For Turo
Even if your credit cards collision damage waiver covers your Turo rental, it wont take care of any damage you cause to other cars and personal property. And, the credit card collision damage waiver wont cover injuries to you, your passengers or pedestrians involved in the accident. Your car insurance policy may kick in here, but its a good idea to check your policy or call your provider to confirm in what situations youd be covered. Again, Id recommend explicitly asking about peer-to-peer rentals.
Some personal car insurance policies may also provide physical damage protection when driving someone elses car, as long as the owner provided permission. But, again, its worth calling your insurance to check your policy details and determine how much coverage you have if the worst happens during your Turo rental.
The decision of whether to purchase car rental insurance for your Turo rental is a personal and complicated one. Id recommend ensuring that you have significant coverage from a damage and liability standpoint. The amount of coverage will vary, depending on how much risk you are willing to self-insure using savings or an emergency fund. In some cases, it may be worth paying for Turos Premium protection plan or purchasing an independent policy that covers Turo rentals to ensure that youll be covered.