Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite became very popular after Chase shut down their Amazon Visa card. It offers the following features and benefits:
- No foreign transaction fees i.e. 0% FX mark-up
- Earn 20,000 bonus points with your first $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn 2 Scotia Rewards points on every $1 spent on eligible grocery, dining, and entertainment purchases, and daily transit
- Earn 1 Scotia Rewards point on every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Enjoy a complimentary Priority Pass membership plus 6 free VIP airport lounge visits per year
- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points when you spend $40,000 or more per year
- Travel emergency medical, trip cancellation, flight delay, delayed and lost baggage, travel accident, rental car collision/damage, hotel/motel burglary insurance
- Purchase security, extended warranty, and price protection
- Complimentary Avis Preferred Plus membership
The Scotiabank Passport is clearly a premium card that comes with premium benefits. Its one downside is the $139 annual fee. However, this is not surprising given its many features.
The initial bonus rewards of 20,000 points easily pay the annual fee for the first year. If you use the card and spend up to $40,000 per annum, you receive an additional 10,000 points . These are in addition to the basic 1-2% rewards rate earned on your eligible spending.
Benefits Of Using A No
As long as credit cards are widely accepted at your destination, you can avoid taking out large amounts of cash at currency exchange kiosks, airports or ATMs. Plus, purchasing with your card helps you earn rewards on every dollar spent, you get purchase protection and PIN protection, and you can easily cancel your card if its stolen while youre abroad.
Our picks of the best no-foreign-transaction-fee credit cards in Canada are based on our analysis of each cards benefits and annual fees foreign transaction fees and how theyre handled and whether there are additional rewards incentives for using the card domestically and/or abroad.
What Are Foreign Transaction Fees And What Do They Mean For You
The fee charged by many credit cards for purchases you make in a foreign currency might not seem like much, but it can add up quickly. To be clear: The fee is applied to every purchase made in a currency thats not Canadian dollarseven when you shop online. For perspective, thats $25 in transaction fees for every $1,000 you spend on your card, and you have to pay the exchange rate as well.
Recommended Reading: Td Bank Prepaid Credit Card
Here Are The Capital One Quicksilver Foreign Transaction Fee Details:
- Capital One Quicksilver does not charge a foreign transaction fee.
- Capital One QuicksilverOne has no foreign transaction fee.
- No Capital One credit card charges a foreign fee.
- Foreign transaction fees arent just for in-person transactions. They can also apply to online or phone purchases made through internationally located merchants.
- Instead of wasting up to 3% on foreign fees, which many other cards charge, youll be earning 1.5% back with every Quicksilver purchase, thanks to its cash rewards.
- The Capital One Quicksilver annual fee is $0.
So, Capital One Quicksilver wont cost you extra on foreign transactions. But it might not save you as much as possible, either. If you want the most travel value from Capital One, consider the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. It has an initial bonus of up to 60,000 miles and gives 2 miles / $1 on all purchases.
Hotelscom Rewards Visa Credit Card: Best For Hotel Stays
Annual fee: $0
Sign-up bonus: New cardholders will earn two hotel reward nights worth $250 total after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Bonus rewards: Collect one stamp for every night you stay at any eligible property booked on Hotels.com and collect one stamp each time you spend $500 on purchases with your card.
Why we like it: If you travel frequently but are brand-agnostic when it comes to hotels, youll want The Hotels.com Credit Card that rewards you for your travel habits. Theres no annual fee or foreign transaction fees, plus youll get hotel perks across multiple hotel properties and brands. Youll enjoy Silver membership in the first year of card ownership, which gets you perks such as free breakfast and airport transfers. Best of all, youll earn rewards through a buy 10, get 1 stamp system.
Annual fee: $695
Welcome offer: 100,000 points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first six months of card membership .
Bonus rewards: 5x on flights booked directly with airlines and flights and 5x on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
Also Check: Citi Bank Best Buy Card
How Do I Avoid International Credit Card Fees
Best Cards With No Foreign Transaction Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to lacking foreign transaction fees, each card offers a unique combination of perks and benefits for travelers. Lets look at the details for each of our top picks.
Read Also: Vsangelcardnow Com
Foreign Transaction Fee: What Is It How Does It Work
Advertiser Disclosure: ValuePenguin is an advertising-supported comparison service which receives compensation from some of the financial providers whose offers appear on our site. This compensation from our advertising partners may impact how and where products appear on our site . To provide more complete comparisons, the site features products from our partners as well as institutions which are not advertising partners. While we make an effort to include the best deals available to the general public, we make no warranty that such information represents all available products.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Citi is an advertising partner
If you’ve used your credit card outside of the U.S., you’ve no doubt come across foreign transaction fees. These pesky little charges are often buried deep in the terms and conditions of your credit card agreement. You may be wondering: What exactly are these transaction fees? Are they always the same? And are there cards that don’t charge foreign transaction fees?
We’ve researched and assembled this guide to help consumers find answers to these questions, and better understand foreign transaction fees and how they work.
Prevent Excessive Travel Costs By Understanding What Foreign Transaction Fees Are And How To Avoid Them
Daily allowance for food? Check. Plane tickets? Already bought. Planning for foreign transaction and currency conversion fees on your trip? Wait, what?
Itâs true. With some credit cards, debit cards and even prepaid cards, fees may be added when you make transactions abroad or online with foreign merchants. Keep reading to learn about foreign transaction and currency conversion fees. And learn how to try to avoid them.
Don’t Miss: Cabela’s Gift Card Check Balance
Best No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards Of January 2022
Discover the best credit cards for international travel.
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list ofour partnersandhere’s how we make money.
Most credit cards tack an extra charge onto purchases made outside the United States. If you’re planning to travel abroad, you’ll want to look out for these foreign transaction fees . They are assessed by your credit card issuer and are usually 1% to 3% of the purchase amount, with 3% being common. That amount might not seem like a big deal, but if you spent, say, $3,000 at a hotel, you could be looking at an additional $90 charge.
The best way to avoid foreign transaction fees is to get a travel credit card that doesn’t charge them. Fortunately, any travel credit card worth its salt including airline cards will not charge foreign transaction fees, so you have plenty of options. Some major issuers most notably Capital One and Discover don’t charge these fees on any of their cards.
Here are our favorite cards without the fee.
What Are The Types Of Travel Credit Cards
Letâs start with the basics. The most common types of travel cards are airline, hotel and general travel rewards credit cards. You can use them like you would any other credit card. And you can also earn rewards, usually in the form of points or miles.
Generally, you can earn rewards by making everyday purchasesâthink clothes, gas and electronics. Once they add up, you can redeem them for travel-related purchases. And some cards even offer additional ways to earn rewards.
One important thing to note is that airline, hotel and general travel cards may offer different rewards scenarios. For example, some may offer a flat rewards rate for all purchases. And others may offer an enhanced rate on travel-related purchases.
Whatâs the best travel rewards card for you? That depends on what youâre looking for. Each may have its own combination of benefits, special perks and rewards structure.
If you fly with the same airline most of the time, an airline travel card might be a good option for you.
With an airline card, youâll earn rewards to use with your favorite airline. And since many large airlines have partnerships with other carriers, you may earn rewards with other brands too. Depending on the card, your miles could be redeemed for everything from plane tickets to perks like free checked bags and early boarding.
Like airline cards, hotel cards reward loyaltyâin this case, to a specific hotel or chain.
General Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Read Also: Personal Loans That Pull Transunion
Bring Cash And Other Credit Cards As Backups
Packing your credit card for an international trip can be helpful. Bringing cash, your debit card and other credit cards as backups can be too, especially if you keep them in separate places. If you stash just one credit card in your walletâand have no backupsâyou could be left without access to money if that lone credit card is lost, stolen or declined.
You may also want to consider using a mobile wallet, where you can store things like credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, boarding passes, hotel reservations and other types of personal data. Where theyâre accepted, mobile wallets allow you to make quick and easy paymentsâand they use advanced technology to prevent your actual account numbers from being stored in the wallet.
Deserve Edu Mastercard For Students
Our pick for: College students
The Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students doesnt require applicants to have a co-signer or security deposit, and international students don’t need a Social Security number. That makes it a little easier to get approved even for students with limited credit histories. Plus, it comes with a solid 1% back on all purchases. Read our review.
Also Check: Bass Pro Credit Card Balance
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card Benefits
- Extended Warranty: Automatically doubles the original manufacturers/stores warranty on eligible purchases when you use your eligible card to pay for a product.
- Complimentary Concierge Service: Enjoy assistance 24 hours a day, from home and when you travel.
- Fraud Coverage: Youre covered by $0 Fraud Liability if your card is ever lost or stolen.
- Travel Accident Insurance. Get automatic insurance for a covered loss at no extra charge when you use your credit card to purchase your fare.
Hsbc World Elite Mastercard*
HSBCs World Elite Mastercard has robust travel features, no foreign transaction fees, and strong earn rates. When you make foreign purchases on this card, no fee is charged and a $100 annual travel enhancement credit allows you to charge seat upgrades, baggage fees or airport lounge passes to the card and get them redeemed for credit on eligible airlines. The HSBC World Elite Mastercard also participates in Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey, which gives users access to over 850 lounges worldwide .
While the card has an annual fee, HSBC waives the first year for the primary cardholder, and you get emergency travel medical insurance coverage for trips up to 31 days. Earn 3% in points on eligible travel purchases, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
- Annual fee: $149
- Welcome bonus: Earn up to a total 100,000 points . That includes 20,000 points for getting the card, as well as 50,000 points when you spend $6,000 within the first 6 months of the account, 10,000 points when you add an authorized cardholder and 20,000 points as an anniversary bonus. Must apply before January 31, 2022.
- Foreign transaction handling: No fees charged
- Rewards earn rate: Earn 3% in points on eligible travel purchases 1.5% in points on everyday purchases
- Income requirement: At least $80,000 per individual or $150,000 household income
Don’t Miss: Credit Card Companies That Use Transunion
Does Capital One Charge For International Transactions
Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions. Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge. You do not need set a travel alert of any type before using your card outside of the United States.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The Capital One Venture card has a great rewards program for travelers. Depending on your needs and preferences, you can reap many travel benefits from this card.
2x miles on every purchase
Early spending bonus
The Capital One Venture card rewards you with 60,000 miles once you spend $3,000 within three months. You can use this card for regular purchases to reach the spending requirement early.
TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit
With this card, you receive up to $100 credit for the application fee of TSA PreCheck or Global Entry every four years.
Several reward redemption options
You can redeem your rewards as a statement credit to cover travel purchases, transfer them to travel partners, buy gift cards or do online shopping at Amazon.
Read Also: Home Depot Credit Card Annual Fee
Why Am I Charged An International Transaction Fee
An international transaction fee is charged to you, the consumer, by your credit card company whenever you buy something in a foreign currency. And while most of these charges are applied to travelers, they can also be added to your credit card bill when you make a purchase online from a foreign vendor.
Are Foreign Transaction Fees Affected By Exchange Rates
Yes and no.
Foreign transaction fees are charged by your issuer when you make a purchase abroad . The exchange rate refers to the value of one currency compared to the other and that rate is determined by payment networks.
What the exchange rate is on a certain day in a certain country will not change the percentage your card charges for a foreign transaction fee. In that sense, exchange rates do not affect foreign transaction fees.
However, an exchange rate can have an effect on the actual dollar amount you are charged for a foreign transaction fee. For example, at the time of writing, the Morningstar exchange rate for the U.S. dollar to the Euro was 1:0.92. That means youd pay a $0.65 transaction fee for a 20-Euro dinner.
However, if the exchange rate changed to, say, 1:1.33, youd only end up paying $0.45 for a 20-euro dinner. So, the exchange rate can make a difference in the actual dollar amount of the foreign transaction fee.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Credit Card On Google Play
Best For Flexible Travel Rewards: Bank Of America Travel Rewards Credit Card
- Best features: The Bank of America Travel Rewards credit card makes travel rewards even more accessible by allowing you to redeem your points as a statement credit for any travel or dining purchase made on the card within the last 12 months. Plus, you can earn 25,000 welcome bonus points after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of card membership. On top of all that, theres no foreign transaction fee.
- Biggest drawbacks: The rate for cash redemptions is disappointingly low at 0.6 cents per point.
- Alternative: If you like to travel, you could get more value by upgrading to a card with a modest annual fee. The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card has a more robust rewards program and a bigger sign-up bonus. It costs $95, but that fee is easily offset through strategic spending.
- Bottom line: With an easily attainable welcome bonus and flexible flat-rate rewards program, this is a great card for travelers who cant be bothered to keep track of spend categories. Bank of America customers can earn even more through the Bank of America Travel Center.
Read our Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card review or jump back to this cards offer details.