The Value Of Travel Insurance Comparison Sites
Because travel insurance is widely available and quite competitive, you may find drastic differences in the price youll pay between companies and policy offerings. Selecting a company is not difficult as there are dozens of reputable, highly financially-rated, established companies, but comparing policies is essential for getting the best value for your money.
One way to easily compare pricing and coverages is to utilize a travel insurance comparison site to narrow down the appropriate options for your situation.
Here are some of the most popular, easy-to-use comparison sites that only feature highly financially-rated travel insurance companies.
- Compare 90 different policies from over 20 different companies
- Customer service receives high accolades
- Over 86,000 reviews
Bottom Line: Utilizing a travel insurance comparison website can help you quickly narrow your choices to policies that fit your needs and your budget.
The Blue Cash Everyday Card From American Express
Even though the Blue Cash Everyday card comes with a $0 annual fee, it offers some useful travel benefits:
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: In most states, use your Blue Cash Everyday card to pay for the entire cost of your car rental and decline the car rental companys own insurance, and youll get complimentary secondary car rental loss and damage insurance. The coverage is only for damage and theft. It does not provide insurance for personal liability, uninsured/underinsured motorists, personal injury protection, or disability benefits. Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles in Australia, Italy, New Zealand, and any country on the Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctioned country list. The plan will pay up to $50,000 for the cost of repairs, the wholesale book value of the car, or the purchase invoice of the vehicle, whichever is less.
- Global Assist Hotline: When traveling more than 100 miles from your home, the Global Assist Hotline can help you coordinate replacing a passport, locating translation services, and finding legal and medical referrals. The hotline is free, but you are responsible for paying for any third-party services provided, such as translation services.
A Simple Cashback Card for Day-to-Day
- Rewards dollars cant be used toward the minimum payment due
Blue Cash Preferred From American Express Review
We publish unbiased product reviews our opinions are our own and are not influenced by payment we receive from our advertising partners. Learn more about how we review products and read our advertiser disclosure for how we make money.
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred® card offers exceptional 6% cash-back rewards for spending at supermarkets and on streaming services, and a generous 3% rate for gas and transit purchasesalthough superstores and warehouse clubs are excluded. It has a $95 annual fee, but you could justify that over the year if you spent $31 per week on groceries alone.
Don’t Miss: How To Apply For Best Buy Credit
To Credit Card Travel Insurance
The travel insurance coverages that comes complimentary on your credit card can serve to provide coverage for some trips. For example, if you book a domestic round-trip flight, a hotel, and a rental car, you may have sufficient coverages on your credit card to cover that trip.
Credit card travel insurance coverage, however, is not a replacement for a comprehensive travel insurance policy, for these reasons:
- Most credit card travel insurance coverage is secondary and in excess of other coverage you might have. Youll normally be working with 2 entities to get your claim resolved.
- You generally wont find medical coverage on a credit card. The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card offer emergency medical evacuation and there is a small medical benefit on the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
- Coverage limits are set on credit card travel insurance. Travel insurance policies can offer higher limit options.
- have requirements such as purchasing the trip with the associated credit card.
- Additional coverages can be added to travel insurance policies such as CFAR insurance, a preexisting conditions waiver, and other benefits not available with credit cards.
American Express Travel Insurance Coverage Guide
Last updated Sep 14, 2021| ByKat Tretina
FinanceBuzz is reader-supported. We may receive compensation from the products and services mentioned in this story, but the opinions are the author’s own. Compensation may impact where offers appear. We have not included all available products or offers. Learn more about how we make money and our editorial policies.
If you have a big vacation coming up, its a good idea to research your insurance options. It may not sound as glamorous as looking up resorts and hotels, but travel insurance can provide you with essential protection if anything goes wrong during your trip.
If you have an American Express credit card, the process can be simple you could get complimentary travel insurance just by being a cardmember. Heres what you need to know about American Express travel insurance and comparison of perks so you can find the best travel credit card from AMEX.
*These policies take effect on January 1, 2020
Car Rental Loss And Damage Insurance
The Amex Platinum card comes with complimentary standard car rental insurance that provides secondary coverage when using your card to reserve and pay for your entire rental car contract. You also have the option to purchase premium primary car rental coverage.
For either coverage to be valid, you must decline the rental car agencys LDW or CDW coverage when renting the vehicle.
Heres an overview of how both of these coverages work:
How We Make Money
You have money questions. Bankrate has answers. Our experts have been helping you master your money for over four decades. We continually strive to provide consumers with the expert advice and tools needed to succeed throughout lifes financial journey.
Bankrate follows a strict editorial policy, so you can trust that our content is honest and accurate. Our award-winning editors and reporters create honest and accurate content to help you make the right financial decisions. The content created by our editorial staff is objective, factual, and not influenced by our advertisers.
Were transparent about how we are able to bring quality content, competitive rates, and useful tools to you by explaining how we make money.
Bankrate.com is an independent, advertising-supported publisher and comparison service. We are compensated in exchange for placement of sponsored products and, services, or by you clicking on certain links posted on our site. Therefore, this compensation may impact how, where and in what order products appear within listing categories. Other factors, such as our own proprietary website rules and whether a product is offered in your area or at your self-selected credit score range can also impact how and where products appear on this site. While we strive to provide a wide range offers, Bankrate does not include information about every financial or credit product or service.
Also Check: Can I Use My Ulta Credit Card Anywhere
Premium Global Assist And Global Assist
Premium Global Assist
The Premium Global Assist Hotline is a great feature that comes with several Amex cards, although the Amex Platinum card has the most extensive service.
You can call the Premium Global Assist Hotline any time youre 100 miles or more away from home and need logistical help big or small. This differs from the cards concierge service, which is useful for things like shopping help, booking tickets, or getting restaurant recommendations and reservations.
Its more for things like:
- Help replacing a lost passport
- Canceling lost credit cards
- Emergency translation/interpretation services
- Help finding a lost item
- Help dealing with lost luggage, including staying on top of the airline until its found
- Emergency legal or medical referrals
- Emergency medical evacuation/transportation
- Urgent message relay in the event you cant get in touch with family or friends during an emergency
Hot Tip: You can reach the Premium Global Assist Hotline at 800-345-AMEX or collect at +1-715-343-7979.
The hotline can also help with certain aspects of planning your trip such as:
- Customs and passport information, including figuring out what visas youll need and how to apply, or what you can and cant bring into the country
- Cultural information, like questions about currency, tourist office locations, or even tipping etiquette
- Foreign exchange rates
- Recommendations for inoculations before traveling to certain regions
- Weather trends and forecasts
What Type Of Travel Insurance Can You Get From Your Credit Card
While the coverages offered will change per card, you may be offered benefits such as trip cancellation and interruption coverage, primary or secondary rental car insurance, emergency medical services, baggage insurance and more. You’ll need to check the fine print to see exactly what’s covered under each policy.
You May Like: Where Can I Use My Valero Credit Card
Does Amex Have Cancellation Travel Insurance
Learn more about the benefits Card Membership can provide. Select the Card below to read the Guide to Benefits for Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance related to that Card. Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance is effective for round-trip purchases made entirely with your eligible Card. If your Card is not listed on this page or if you are an Additional Card Member, please call the number on the back of your Card to verify your benefits.
The Blue Business Plus From American Express: Best For Business Owners
The Blue Business Plus from American Express is the only Amex business card that earns Membership Rewards points and has no annual fee , making it a desirable choice for business owners looking to increase their travel rewards once business travel starts to pick up again.
This card offers simplicity at its finest, as you dont need to keep track of bonus categories. Instead, youll earn a flat 2 points per dollar on all purchases made with the Blue Business Plus, up to $50,000 per year, then 1 point per dollar thereafter. Since The Points Guy values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents apiece, thats effectively a 4% return on your first $50,000 of purchases every year.
Businesses also pay nothing to add authorized users, and youll earn points on any expenses charged on those employee cards as well as your own. Plus, the Blue Business Plus offers a 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months you have the card, which rises to a variable 13.24% to 19.24% afterward. So if you use the card to finance your business purchases, make sure to pay the debt in full before the intro period ends.
Essentially, if you own a small business that typically spends less than $50,000 per year on credit cards, the Blue Business Plus allows you to track your business expenses while earning flexible Membership Rewards travel points, and all without paying an annual fee.
Recommended Reading: Bestbuy Credit Card Online
The Platinum Card From American Express
Despite its hefty $695 annual fee, the Platinum Card from American Express offers a lot of value. Youll earn 5X points per dollar spent on eligible airfare and eligible hotel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases. Plus, youll get valuable perks like up to $200 in Uber credits and a TSA PreCheck or Global Entry fee credit. Select benefits require enrollment.
It also offers more robust travel insurance policies than other American Express cards:
Best Luxury Travel Benefits
- High annual fee
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 in the first 6 months, plus 10x points on eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S.
- 5X points per dollar spent on eligible airfare and eligible hotel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases
- Terms apply
Capital One Travel Insurance
Capital One provides only basic travel accident insurance on all credit cards they issue. That doesn’t offer coverage for trip interruptions, so if your flight is canceled or you have an emergency that causes you to miss a flight, Capital One will not reimburse you for your trouble. Before you pay for your next trip with a Capital One credit card, be sure to consider other travel insurance options.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Recommended Reading: What Is The Annual Fee For First Premier Credit Card
This Card Is No Longer Available
American Express no longer offers the Blue Sky from American Express®. See our best travel credit cards page for other options.
If you’ve set your sights on a general travel card, but high annual fees have you questioning whether it’s worth the cost, the Blue Sky from American Express® may be worth considering. This American Express offering is a bit a of rarity in the credit card world because it earns travel rewards you can use on any airline with you guessed it a $0 annual fee.
How Can I Use Travel Medical Insurance
If you have a medical emergency, call the Global Assist Hotline or Premium Global Assist Hotline at these numbers:
- Global Assist Hotline : 800-333-2639
- Premium Global Assist Hotline : 800-345-2639
- Global Assist Hotline : 715-343-7977
- Premium Global Assist Hotline : 715-343-7979
If you have American Express travel medical insurance and want to file a claim, call the claims phone number on your Certificate of Insurance/Policy. You can also find the claims number by visiting the American Express Travel Insurance website and clicking the Claims link at the top of the page.
What proof will I need for my claim?
Pull up your Certificate of Insurance/Policy and check the Proof of Loss section. There, youll find which documentation youll need for your claim.While traveling, keep receipts, medical bills, police reports and similar documents to support your claim.
Read Also: How To Pay Best Buy Credit Card On App
Proof Of Flight Delay Or Cancellation
One of the documents required to file for trip delay reimbursement is a verification form that outlines the reason for the delay or cancellation by the carrier. You can typically get this at the airport when the delay or cancellation is announced, but keep in mind that it may require a supervisor. Each U.S. major airline also has a process for requesting this information after the fact.
Here is an overview of the process that major U.S. airlines require for you to receive a delay or cancellation verification form:
|Reach out to Alaska Airlines customer care at 1-800-654-5669.|
What Is Covered By Trip Cancellation And Interruption Insurance
You can find the full terms and conditions of what is generally covered on your respective card in your Guide to Benefits, which can be found through your online account. Ill use the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve as an example.
Here is a rundown of the covered losses provided by Amexs trip cancellation and interruption insurance:
- Accidental bodily injury or loss of life or sickness of either the eligible traveler, traveling companion or a family member of the eligible traveler or traveling companion
- Inclement weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from traveling or continuing on a covered trip
- The eligible traveler or his or her spouses change in military orders
- Terrorist action or hijacking
- The eligible traveler or traveling companions dwelling made uninhabitable
- Quarantine imposed by a physician for health reasons
Amex also provides an extensive list of things that are not covered by trip cancellation/interruption insurance:
If you do find yourself canceling or cutting a covered trip short, here are the basic guidelines provided by Amex on what types of expenses are covered for trip cancellation/interruption:
Also Check: Best Buy Credit Card Options
Delta Skymiles Gold American Express: Best For Free Checked Bags
On most airlines, checking a bag is going to cost you and the fees can add up. Fortunately, many airline credit cards offer complimentary checked bags as a benefit, and the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card is one of the best when it comes to avoiding those fees.
With the Delta Gold Amex, youll get your first checked bag for free on Delta flights, along with up to eight additional passengers traveling in the same reservation. For a family of four, that could save you as much as $240 round trip, since Delta charges $30 per bag for domestic flights.
Youll also get a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages and audio headsets, and can even earn a $100 Delta flight credit after you spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year. Plus, the Delta Gold Amex has a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99 thereafter .
One thing youll want to be wary of, however, is that the Delta Gold Amex isnt the best credit card to use for your everyday purchases. Youll earn 2 miles per dollar on eligible Delta purchases as well as restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets, but on all other purchases, youll only earn 1 mile per dollar spent.
Different Types Of Credit Card Travel Insurance Explained
As listed above, there are several different types of credit card travel insurance. While the types of protections and amount of coverage vary, there are some elements that remain constant throughout.
Remember that to be insured during your travels, you must use the respective card for your travel expenses, such as airfare, hotel reservations or cruise excursions.
Here are some of the most common protections:
Recommended Reading: What Is The Annual Fee For First Premier Credit Card